danger of the conscience

She let out a laugh. "I don't think I should. That could kill you. Or do something worse."

"It won't."

"And how do you know?"

I shrugged. "I just do."

She shifted the box in her hands. "Maybe we should speak with the others about this. I don't feel comfortable-"

I shook my head. "Levana, please," I cut her off. "I need your help. I need to be ready for the celestials."

"Fae," she said walking towards me. "I know you're being plagued by nightmares, but you're safe. I swear it. Let your mind heal. Rest."

I rolled my eyes. "That's the thing. I don't feel safe. Levana, I beg of you. I can't lose anyone else."

She stared at me as if she was thinking, then shook her head. "I'm sorry, Fae. I can't. Now go home and rest." Walking past me, she went towards her front door.

"Leave it be, Faeda."

I ignored him, turning towards Levana. "If you don't help me, I'll search for someone who will. Now, that...that will probably kill me."

She paused and I watched her shoulders sag. "Come on."

I let out a breath I was holding and followed her in. Turning on her lanterns, she placed the box on her desk. "Follow me."

I followed her past her desk as she opened the wall to a much larger room. A large bed with a colorful blanket sat in the middle. "Lay down."

"Why?"

"It will put a toll on you."

I nodded, walking over to the bed, lying in the center.

"Please, Faeda. You can still change your mind."

"No."

"Did you say something?" asked Levana, bringing a chair next to me. I shook my head. She nodded, sitting down. "Are you sure you want this?"

"Yes."

Nodding, she grabbed my hand as Beta began moving. I stared up at the ceiling, waiting for the bite. Seconds later, it came and my vision went white.

***

"Still nothing?"

"I'm afraid not."

"It's been days, Levana. Can you not reach her mind?"

She groaned. "For the one hundredth time, Kaius. I can't. It weakened me. I'm still not fully myself yet."

"Kaius, calm down. She still has a pulse."

"Whatever, Ren," scoffed Kaius. He sounded frustrated.

I tried to open my eyes, but couldn't. My body felt heavy.

"Kaius," said Nissa, "I know you're worried. We all are. It's just a waiting game. Now, the festival is beginning and I want us all there."

Groans filled the room. "Nissa," said Kaius. "I'm not in a festival mood."

"Well, that's too bad. Since Levana's place is close to it, we will take shifts just in case she wakes up. We all need a break."

A chorus of fine's and okay's went around the room. I needed to get up. Why couldn't I move my body? Did Levana do it? My head hurt, so that must be a good sign.

Hours seemed to pass, and I was finally able to move my fingers. I focused and forced my body to move.

Come on, Fae. Push yourself.