Chapter 4 - The Tiger Cub

The next day, Empress Dowager Zhang went to Xiao Qi's chamber. She was already awake at that time and zoning out on the bed.

"Xiao Qi?" Empress Dowager Zhang called her and she immediately bowed to her.

"Your majesty, I apologize for not realizing your arrival…" Xiao Qi said and the scene went silent. She doesn't dare to look up until The Empress says something.

Suddenly, Empress Dowager Zhang grabbed her shoulder and slowly put Xiao Qi together with her on the bed, sitting down.

She looked at her servants and told them to leave only her and Xiao Qi alone.

Once the room was silent, she took her hand and put it on her. While gently rubbing Xiao Qi's hands, she sighed heavily like there's a massive burden on her mind.

"Was there something disturbing your mind, Your majesty?" Xiao Qi asked with a slow voice.

The Empress was rapidly looking at her and Xiao Qi was surprised also stunned that she became stiff and held her breath.

"Haiya~! You're so concerned! I'm just testing you just now, Xiao Qi~" she tapped on Xiao Qi's hands and made her breath out normally.

"Don't be so scared~ I'm not gonna eat you~" The Empress again made her calm. The moment just now was very tense and tight. It almost made her lose her breath but luckily it's just a test or she'll need to think on how to solve the problem together.

"Xiao Qi…" The Empress sat back by her side and became serious.

"I don't know how to tell you the things, but…being a consort of an emperor needs a strong mental and also heart because here, we fight for the emperor's side…the empress place…" she explained.

Xiao Qi lowered her head and looked at Empress Dowager Zhang.

"I know~ every consort here has a great effort to make the emperor fall for them but…I can say that I'll not try too hard as they can have him first…I'm entering this palace just because him being sympathy to me…not because of love~" she tilt her head a bit and smile.

The Empress was quite surprised with her answer.

"I never heard any other reply than 'I understand Empress Dowager Zhang…I'll fight for it'... you're surprising me," she said with a curved at the corner of her mouth.

"I…was that a wrong reply?" she asked.

"Hmm? No…that's not but I'm more excited for your answer…it's like telling me that you're gonna steal all of Zhang Shen's heart~" she teased her.

"Eh!? No! Your majesty! I-I'm not gonna steal lord Zhang Shen's heart!"

"Xiao Qi, you're gonna be part of the harem…that's how you survive here…" The Empress advised her.

"Then…I don't want to be part of the harem…" she said and it makes The Empress shocked.

"Why? You didn't even give it a try?" she said.

"I don't want to create trouble here…"

"If there's trouble…it doesn't mean that you're the one who caused it and even if it's trouble really happened, it doesn't mean that you can't solve it…" she said.

"Mother was right…" Zhang Shen appeared out of nowhere from the door.

"Zhang Shen?" his mother asked.

"Your majesty…" Xiao Qi bowed.

"Have a seat Xiao Qi, I'm just visiting…" he sat at the chair beside her bed.