Chapter 16: I Won't Back Down

Aria was roughly shoved down onto her knees by the Unsub. She winced slightly as they made contact with the hard ground. Her arms hung loosely at her sides and she kept her gaze on the floor below her.

After her breakdown, Stephany had managed to calm her down before she had another panic attack. She talked to Aria and asked her questions to try and keep her engaged and distracted and told her that she needed to stay strong and not give up. She wasn't sure if she could do that though. She was beyond terrified about what could happen to her.

"What's your name?" She heard the Unsub ask her.

She frowned then looked up at him as he stood in front of her. "What?" She asked, confused.

"Your name. What is it?" He asked again.

She cleared her throat. "Aria. My name's Aria." She told him cautiously, wondering why he was asking her that. She assumed he already knew her name.

His expression went from calm to angry. "Liar!" He screamed as he punched her in the side just below her ribs.

Aria gasped as the blow caught her off guard. She barely managed to stay kneeling before he punched her again on the opposite side. She fell to the ground, clutching her stomach as the pain shot through her.

He kneeled down next to her as she struggled to breathe. "I'm gonna ask you again. What is your name?" He asked softly as he leaned down closer to her.

Aria took a few short breaths before she replied. "I just told you." She said as she tried to push herself up.

"You're lying!" He yelled out then kicked her in the stomach. "Stop lying to me." He said as he kicked her again.

Aria couldn't help the cry of pain she let out when he kicked her for the second time. She curled herself into a ball on the floor, bracing herself for another kick. "I'm telling you the truth." She told him. "My name is Aria. Aria Marano."

He shook his head. "No, it isn't." He said as he leaned down and grabbed her by the shoulders. "Stop lying." He told her as he shoved her back down.

Oh my God. He's delusional. She thought. What am I going to do?

She took a few breaths. "I don't know who you think I am but I'm not her." She told him as she tried to sit up.

He started pacing, shaking his head as he mumbled. "No, no, no. You're lying." He said then kicked her harder in the same spot.

She screamed out in pain. "Please stop." She pleaded as he continued kicking her in the abdomen. "I'm telling you the truth, I swear." She gasped out, curling herself even further into a ball. She tried to focus on her breathing but every breath she took made it feel as if her stomach was on fire.

"Please. I don't know what you want from me." She choked out as she struggled to hold back her tears.

He stopped kicking her then leaned closer. "I want you to tell me the truth." He said softly.

"I am." She whispered.

He shook his head. "No, you're not." He said, then grabbed her by the shoulders, pulling her up from the floor.

It took everything that Aria had in her not to scream out in pain as the movement jarred her already sore abdomen. She bit the inside of her cheek hard enough to draw blood.

He slammed her hard against the wall then moved his hands towards her neck.

"No. What, what are you doing?" She asked as she felt him wrap both of his hands around her neck. He held it there as she struggled to free herself from his grip.