Chapter 21: I'm Stuck in the Dark but You're my Flashlight

Freshly showered and wearing scrubs and a clean hoodie, Aimee made her way back to the floor Aria was on.

"Amelia!" A familiar voice called out.

Aimee frowned then turned. Her eyes widened when she saw who it was. "Carrie?!" She made her way over to where the older woman was standing and was immediately pulled into a hug.

"Oh, look at you." She said with a smile. "You work here?" She asked.

"Er, yeah. I do." Aimee answered. "What are you doing here?" She asked confused, wondering if her parents had maybe told her what had happened to Aria.

"Oh, I'm looking for my son." She answered. "This is the ICU floor, right?"

"It is, yes." She confirmed. "Your son's in the ICU? What happened?"

"Oh, no. Honey, he's fine. Or at least that's what he told me." She told her.

Aimee frowned. "I don't follow."

"It's..." She looked over Aimee's shoulder. "Oh, there he is." She said, moving past Aimee. "Hi Sweetheart." She said, pulling him into a hug.

"Mom, what are you doing here? I thought your flight only got in later this afternoon." He told her.

"There was place on an earlier flight so I took it."

Aimee turned around. She recognised that voice.

Aaron.

Aaron was Carrie's son.

"Amelia? Are you okay, Hon?" Carrie asked concerned.

"He's your son?" She asked softly.

She nodded.

"Wait, how do you two know each other?" Aaron asked.

"Amelia's aunt, Isabella, was my best friend. I've known Aimee since she was a teenager." She answered. "I took over the book store Isa owned after she passed on."

The aunt that died from cancer. The aunt who Aimee stayed with after her mother kicked her out. Aaron realised.

That meant that Carrie knew Aria. She had met her before he did.

"Aaron, I didn't know." Aimee told him when she saw his eyes widen in realisation. "I swear I had no idea."

"What's going on between you two? How do you know each other?" Carrie asked confused.

"You should go sit with Aria." Aaron told Aimee. "She was pretty upset earlier."

"Aria's here? Why?" Carrie asked. "Will someone please tell me what's going on?" She said as she watched the two of them stare at each other, not answering any of her questions.

"Aimee, go. Please." He told her, wanting to talk to his mother alone.

She hesitated then nodded before she made her way to Aria's room.

"Aaron?" She questioned.

"Let's take a walk, Mom." He told her, placing his hand on her shoulder to lead her away from the floor.

They walked for a few minutes until they entered one of the hospital's garden areas. Aaron guided his mother to a nearby bench, motioning for her to sit down.

He remained standing. "You've met Aria, right?" He asked.

Carrie nodded. "I have. I've known her since she was a baby." She frowned. "Aaron, please tell me what's going on."

"Mom..." He paused then sighed. "Aria's my daughter. Mine and Aimee's."

"What?" She asked with widened eyes. "I don't understand. I wasn't even aware you two knew each other. Now you're telling me that you have a child together." She said then stood up.