10. Until Now

Aliya's POV

"Aliya!"

Emma ran over and threw her arms around me, her excitement squeezing me to the point where I couldn't even breathe.

"Can't breathe- Em," I managed to mutter.

"Oh my gosh, sorry!" She instantly retrieved herself, placing her hands on my shoulder with her gleaming eyes staring at me.

"Sometimes I forget that you're human, are you okay?"

I let out a nod and smiled, "I am better than okay. I missed you so much! It's like you disappeared after your wedding announcement. I didn't have anyone to go on a brunch date and order bottomless mimosas with!"

I pouted while complaining, a habit that I had picked up from her. However, deep down I understood why she must be so busy, although I had only been to one wedding as a child, I could imagine how much work and planning it took. Not to mention that this was a royal wedding.

"Aw, I know!" She mimicked my sadness, "I just got too carried away with the preparations, even though we have wedding planners who oversee all the major and minor details so we don't miss anything, it's still my wedding so there is no way a decision is to be made without my consent. Not to mention, I'm very picky when it comes to certain things..."

She was right about that. Her pickiness came from her older brother who practically raised her, all while spoiling her at the same time. But a princess as nice and kind hearted as her did deserve to be spoiled from time to time.

We had a very different childhood but yet, there were so many things that we could connect on. She had an outgoing personality which made her befriend me from the start and I couldn't be more grateful to have her as a friend.

"Anyways, I'm so glad to have you here. Now we can both go crazy together and make sure my day goes as smoothly as possible. You know, the closer we get to the wedding, the more nervous I get. You already know we've faced so much backlash because Eric is not a prince, although he still owns a high enough title and is the second in command after my brother. That is why I wanted an intimate wedding with just the closest family and friends, but my brother insisted that he only has one sister so he wants a wedding that the whole vampire world is going to talk about for centuries to come. Literally, his words."

Trust Damien to never miss an opportunity to be extra and show the world the power and wealth he possessed.

"I'm sure he just wants you to be happy and a grand wedding does sound like a lot of fun," I said.

"Look at you," she winked, "already defending my brother."

I scoffed, "as if. I just know how much he loves you, you may be the only person in this world who he loves."

"Not the only person," she said while sitting casually on Damien's bed and looking at her nails.

Right, probably that Katrina who I never heard from again ever since I was stabbed.

I wondered if she would ever come back. And if she does, would he take her back in his arms? Although last time he did kick her out; but I recalled his mood changes like the weather.

"Speaking of the devil, where is your brother?"

When I woke up this morning, there was no sign of him. The cold and empty bed welcomed me as I opened my eyes and then I realized it was already noon. Then I freshened up, unpacked some of my clothes and showered. When I came out of the restroom, I saw that the maids had brought me breakfast on their cart and were setting up the table. I enjoyed my meal in silence and just when I was done eating, Emma barged in to greet me.