10. Relay Race

Three months later

(Reminder since I moved the timeline ahead: Noor is a 1st year Peds ICU fellow now, so getting specialized training in pediatric critical care. Salman is a 4th year pediatric cardiology fellow doing his research year, most of which he can do from home. Toddler Ayah is primarily being taken care of  by her dad. Madi has moved to St Louis as a 1st year adult infectious diseases fellow. Omar is a 3rd (and final) year resident in adult medicine)

Noor

I had thought residency was difficult. But compared to a fellowship in Peds ICU it was a walk in the park. If I wasn't actively taking care of patients, I was trying to read up on the lung physiology, or multi-organ dysfunction in widespread infections. Or I was in the skills lab practicing intubations on plastic dummy models of different sizes, from the baby ones to the adult. 

At home, I was either sleeping just enough hours to remain functional, or trying to spend some time with Ayah so she wouldn't completely forget who her mother was. Childcare had been far more challenging that I had anticipated. Salman had flexible hours and he mostly covered the overnight shift in the hospital, and did his research work in the morning. But it became clear pretty soon that he wouldn't be able to take solo care of Ayah and still keep up with all the work that Dr Lopez, his research mentor had given him. That's why we had decided to hire a part-time nanny so that he could work at least part of the day at the hospital, but even that did not work out.

I was mentally going through my home to-do list while standing in the checkout line at the cafeteria when I heard a familiar and cheerful male voice. 

"Assalama Alaikum Noor."

"Walaikum Assalaam Omar, how are you doing?"

"Alhamdulillah...managing," he said with a smile that made it pretty obvious that he may be 'managing' but was really missing someone.

"How is Madi doing? Have you been able to see her much?"

"Madi's ok," he replied again with that sad smile. "She has been really busy, which is why we haven't been able to meet up every weekend. Even last weekend, I was on call and she too got pulled into work so had to cancel her trip."

My heart went out to him. I knew very well how it felt to be away from your spouse. But at least when they met they weren't strangers, like Salman and I had been at one time. We were doing a lot better now, and meeting with Dr Wheeler had definitely helped me personally. Though, thankfully life had had been pretty stable recently.

I focused back on Omar who was talking about Madi, and his face lit up when he mentioned that he was going to drive to St Louis that night. I couldn't help gushing over how in love he seemed to be with his wife. I was about to tease him when our turn came to pay and he told the cashier to charge him for both our meals.

"Omar, you don't have to do that."

"Don't worry about it, I am sure I owe you money for some lunch in high school"

We were good friends back in high school for sure, and to be honest I kind of missed that. After residency finished all my good friends had moved to other cities for further training or to become attendings. Even Madi, who had been so supportive with all my problems, had moved away. 

So, after thanking him for lunch, I couldn't help adding, "I miss Madi."

Omar opened his mouth wide and pretended to be shocked, "What a coincidence! I miss Madi too!"

That made me laugh, like one laughs with an old friend. The two of us had never really discussed what happened between us, not that I ever wanted to rehash the past. But it was good to know that there were no hard feelings.