The Emerald Forest

"Talking"

"Thoughts"

"SHOUTING"
_______________________________________

Jaune and all the other Beacon hopefuls were lined up on the edge of the cliff and standing on platforms.

"For years, you have trained to become warriors. Today, your abilities will be evaluated in the Emerald Forest." Ozpin started with his cane and mug in both his hands.

"Now I'm sure many of you have heard rumors about the assignment of "teams". Well allow us to put an end to your confusion. Each of you will be given teammates...today." Miss Goodwitch stepped up and continued with her scroll in hand.

"What. Oum." Ruby complained quietly.

"These teammates will be with you for the rest of your time here at Beacon. So it is in your best interests to be paired with someone with whom you can work well."

"Mmmm." She groaned in unease.

"That being said. The first person you make eye contact with after landing will be your partner for the next four years."

"WHAT?!" Ruby exclaimed panicky.

"Now I feel really bad for her."

"See! I told you!" The redhead from earlier told her quiet friend.

"After you've partnered up, make your way to the northern end of the forest. You will meet opposition along the way. Do not hesitate to destroy everything in your path...or you will die. Ozpin continued dead serious.

"Noted." Jaune said unsure about destroying everything in his path.

"You will be monitored and graded through the duration of your initiation, but our instructors will not intervene. You will find an abandoned temple at the end of path containing several relics. Each pair must choose one and return to the top of the cliff. You will guard that item as well as your standing, and we'll grade you appropriately."

Jaune looked a little nervous and Ruby looked absolutely unsure about everything.

"Are there any questions?"

No one said anything.

"Good. Now take your positions.

Everyone was getting into a stance as if they were going to take of. Jaune meanwhile was having flashbacks on how Andi trained him for this.

Flashback...

"They're gonna what?!" Jaune exclaimed to his master who had just told him something.

"Yup. They're gonna throw you off a cliff." Andi told him in a carefree tone.

"W-why would they do that?! People might die!"

"If they do it right they won't."

"What do you mean by that?"

"To survive a fall like that. You need a landing strategy."

"What's that?"

"A landing strategy is using what you have on you to make an on the fly plan to land safely. Like using hard-light platforms to step on and get down. Or using the recoil of a powerful sniper rifle to slow down and latch on to a tree."

"Oh."

"If you're gonna make it into Beacon. You're gonna need one. And that's what we'll be working on."

"Really?!"

"Yup. Let's get started."

Flashback Ends...