Chapter 2 Mystery Woman

I wake up feeling just as exhausted as I felt when I finally drifted off to sleep last night. Today I have a day off and I immediately feel very thankful, because I am struggling to get out of bed this morning. My eyes find their way to the fan circulating above me.

My thoughts begin to drift to the awful scene that happened yesterday at the coffee shop. I feel my face heat up and roll over with a groan. I grab my phone off of the night stand and check the time.

9:00 a.m.

My phone lets out a loud ringing sound and I nearly drop it. I check the call ID and see that my dad is calling. I smile and immediately answer.

"Hey Dad! What's up?" I ask, clearing my throat.

I can practically hear him smiling, as he responds in a cheerful voice, "Hey sweetie! Sorry if I just woke you, but I want you to come down and have some lunch with me at our usual spot at noon. I have someone that I want to tell you about."

I quickly sit up, as curiosity takes over my thoughts. Did he meet someone? "Yeah, sure dad. Who are we talking about exactly?"

He coughs and I can tell he's nervous. "Just someone that I've been interested in. I'll tell you all about her at lunch."

He pauses briefly before continuing.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you about it before. I didn't know how serious I felt about her until a couple of days ago, and I didn't want to bother you about it."

I run my hands through my hair and the corners of my mouth lift. "Dad, I'm so happy for you. I was hoping you would meet someone when I left. I'm excited to find out who this mystery lady is!"

He must've been holding his breath because he lets out a big sigh, "I am so glad honey. I don't know why I was so nervous to tell you. It's not like I've actually made a move or anything."

My poor dad, always worrying about everyone else except himself. I assure him that I will be at Susie's Diner at noon and hang up.

I set my phone down and start to get ready for the day.

.............................................................

At 11:30 am, I am ready to go. I check my appearance in the mirror and feel satisfied with how I look. I decided to keep it simple and threw on my favorite light blue blouse with small white flowers etched into the collar line, and my favorite pair of jeans. I decide to leave my hair down because it looks decent enough as it is.

I grab my bag and say goodbye to Finn. He looks up from the corner of my bed, stretches out, and immediately curls back up into a ball, falling asleep. You lucky cat!

When I reach the diner I spot my dad in the window, sitting in our usual spot. We used to come to this diner every Saturday night consistently for years, and get the same order of burgers and fries. Unfortunately, It's been weeks since we've eaten here together because of my busy work schedule. I feel a little sad thinking about our tradition being broken so many times.

My dad looks out the window as if he knows i'm here, and starts waving at me when he sees me. I wave back and wipe the corner of my eye before heading in. The host guides me over to the table smiling brightly. Hmm.. She must be new, because I've never seen her before.

My dad and I catch up and immediately ease into our usual banter. I almost forget that he told me he would be telling me about his mystery lady, when our server Debby walks over with a huge grin. Debby was very beautiful, and you wouldn't think she was anywhere near her early 50's. My dad and I have known Debby for years. She's always worked at this diner, and she's always been our server.