CHAPTER 9 - Don't Take It Personal

Standing there in the center of the gym, I desperately want to believe Katelyn and Bethany will help me get in good with our teammates. My tense shoulders even relax, hopeful I will be accepted now that the captain and her best friend are on my side. Maybe it is possible to go from an awkward nobody to a smily cheerleader in one afternoon with the right alliances? 

This is the transformation I've been waiting for my whole life.

Bethany sticks two fingers between her glossy lips and let out a piercing whistle. The squad turns toward their captain like flowers turn toward the sun. "Ladies, let's start off our team building today with the introduction of this young lady on my left. I'll let her tell you her name, where she's from and her favorite sideline chant. Then, we'll move around the circle to give everybody a chance to introduce themselves. Mmm-kay?"

"And, we'll start building a list of chants to work from since we're starting from scratch this year," Katelyn adds in an annoying bubbly tone.

My eyes dart around the circle of a dozen beautiful faces staring right at me, but I can't focus on a single one. I try to concentrate. What did Bethany say again? 

My name. 

I take a deep breath and look down at my hands, which seems a lot easier than making eye contact with a dozen girls who are superior to me in every way. "Hi. I'm Rose. Rose Blakeway." 

My eyes make the mistake of looking up and the sight of the girls' judgmental gaze steals my breath from my chest.  I have to stare at my hands again and force my lungs to inflate before I can continue. "Um—uh, I'm a sophomore from Limestone Creek High School. It's in Oklahoma. I moved here two weeks ago."

"And your favorite chant?" Bethany prompts me, which is good because I've totally forgotten what comes next.

"My favorite chant?" I chew on my lower lip. What's a chant?

I imagine a withered old lady whispering incantations over a fiery caldron. Pompon class was dancing, not actual cheering. We never learned any 'chants.'

"We're waiting," Bethany sings out as if it were a song lyric.

Each second I wait to answer her question spreads out into an eternity of uncomfortable silence. Better to answer truthfully and get this introduction over with. "Honestly, I've never really cheered before, so I don't know any chants."

Bethany gasps like my confession is some sort of crime. Katelyn's jaw drops. The entire group of girls sits in stunned silence like they're ready to send me to the gallows.

I know it's really bad because the thud of my heartbeat is the only sound I hear for five solid seconds. Then, the inquisition breaks out and they fire questions at me from all around.

"Say what?!"

"What do you mean you've never cheered?"

"You must have done little league?"

"How did you make varsity?"

"Can you even tumble?"

"How did this happen?"

Each and every one of my teammates faces twist into anger and disbelief and I cower under the weight of their disapproval.

Bethany narrows her eyes and hisses, "Quiet! Let's hear what the newbie has to say."

Newbie?! The word stings, as intended but I try to hid my pain with false confidence.

"Don't worry, guys. I may be new, but I can do this." I laugh anxiously and turn to Bethany. "You even said I have what it takes. Right?"