SIXTEEN

Wyatt had regretted everything that had happened within the past few hours. He paced back and forth in the den, Waverly's moonstone necklace in his hands. He couldn't believe he had let this happen. This entire time he had stayed silent, but now he remembered something that Eliza had told him last year. Silence is still taking sides.

It was clear to him now that he had taken the wrong side. Willa watched as her brother paced. He was deep in thought. So deep that he hadn't realized that Willa had been sniffling. She normally hid her emotions pretty well, but losing her friend had taken a toll on her. Waverly and Willa had grown close in the last year, even closer once Willa realized the girl's feelings for her brother. But Willa knew she had crossed a line. Not by refusing to trust her, but by accusing her.

Willa knew that Waverly's feelings for Wyatt were deep. Too deep for some random space boy to ruin. The part that made her feel the worst was that she had hurt her brother in the process of trying to prove that she was right. Wyatt had come home the night before with a huge grin on his face. The boy was practically giddy, but now that was shattered by the persistent frown that played on his lips while he paced.

Wyatt stared down at the necklace and stopped pacing. He had realized that his silence had lasted too long. He had to see her and he had to see her now. He shoved the necklace into his pocket and left without another word. He didn't have to say anything, Willa knew where he was going.

Wynter sat next to Willa with lost puppy eyes. "Do you think she'll forgive us?" She asked softly.

"Even if she doesn't forgive me, I hope she'll forgive him." Willa answered honestly.

Waverly laid in her bed awake. Despite the time, she couldn't fall asleep. She tossed and turned until finally she found herself getting up and walking over to her window. She wrapped her blanket around her before pushing it open and walking out onto her balcony. She leaned on the rail as she watched the sky with a frown.

She didn't understand how everything had turned upside down so fast. Just days ago, she and her friends had been laughing and making jokes about failing chemistry to stay in high school. Now she didn't know if she was friends with half of them anymore at all.

She paid no mind to the person who threw themselves onto her balcony. He walked over and stood next to her, not saying anything at first. He listened to her heartbeat and how it seemed to speed up just a bit.

"What are you doing here?" She finally asked, not looking at him. She couldn't. If she did, she knew her eyes would begin to water again. "You should be at the den."

"No, I'm where I need to be right now." Wyatt told the girl. He leaned next to her, but focused his eyes on her face. "If I stayed in that den one more minute, I'd lose my mind."

"Why?" She asked quietly.

"Because I can't sit still knowing that you hate me now. Not when I had you in my arms merely twenty four hours ago." Wyatt admitted, playing with the necklace again.

"I don't hate you, Wyatt." She said, finally looking over at him. "I could never hate you."

Wyatt watched the girl closely. He searched her eyes for the words he wanted to say to her. He reached a hand out and moved a piece of her hair from her face. "How do I fix this?" He whispered to himself.

She stayed quiet before pulling away and beginning to walk inside.

"I should've said something." Wyatt called to her, not watching her as she retreated. She stopped and turned to listen to him. "I've been so scared to say something for the past year. And when I finally got the chance, it was ripped from me because I wouldn't speak up. But I'm not leaving tonight without telling you."