Chapter 4

Run. Run. Run! RUN! RUN!
The moon was your only source of light in the pitch-black forest. You could hear them.
BANG!
A shot rang out. It hit a tree you just ran past.
BANG!
You couldn't tell where that one ended up. You could barely think. Too much was happening. Too much, too fast.

That Morning, 10 a.m:
Standard Morning. Nothing special. After waking up, getting dressed, and having breakfast you got ready for work. Minnie needed you to sing today.

That Afternoon, 12 p.m:
You left the Minnie Bar and decided to do a bit of shopping. The sky was blue for the first time in what felt like decades. More people were outside to enjoy the weather. Most of them were street sellers trying to make a living. You bought a few things that caught your interest. An antique mirror, some food that hasn't got to waste, a rather nice pair of shoes, and hair pins. Not a bad find. Especially considering the crap that had the economy crumbling. You took the rest of your day to just walk around and explore. More time passed than you realized and you made your way home.

That Night, 7 p.m:
Finally, back at your house, you made a quick and easy dinner after unloading your arms from this afternoon's shopping spree. You sat in the living room while you ate. Admiring the fire roaring in the fireplace and listening to the radio that was beside you on a small table. Then you heard it. A large crowd of people. They stepped on my fallen branches and talked in not-so-hushed voices. You looked out the window to see 10-15 men. Some with lanterns but they all had guns. You ran to your basement and turned on the light. Then, you opened the hatch, turned out the basement light, and went outside. You closed the hatch and ran deep into the woods. It was only when you found the wide tree Alastor shot that you stopped to rest your aching legs. Heart racing, lungs burning, adrenaline coursing through your veins. Your rest was short. Loud voices and footsteps rang in your ears again. You looked around for any sort of hiding spot. Darkness was all that was around. After many, many minutes of running, you noticed lights up ahead. A house. First, you thought that maybe it was your own. That you went around in a giant circle. But as you got closer, you could see that it wasn't. You ran as fast as you could to the door and knocked. The door opened to reveal a familiar face.
"Hello, my dear. I didn't expect to see you tonight." Alastor's bright smile nearly made you forget your current state. You shook your head to snap out of it.
"Hi, Al. Sorry for this but can I come in? I'm in a bit of a pickle." You looked behind you. The light of lanterns was pretty far but still too close for comfort.
"Of course, darling." He moved out of the doorway to make way for you. His home was beautifully decorated. He had a vintage fireplace with a deer head mounted above it. On the fireplace's mantle was a hunting rifle.
"What sort of 'pickle' are you in?" His voice came from right behind you. It made you jump a little. You turned to face him. How do you tell someone you might have brought an angry mob to their house?
"Well... My guess is, whoever was in front of the house last night did in fact say something. I had an angry mob break into my house and chase me through the woods." And just because you have the best luck in the world, loud knocking began to erupt at the front door.
"Hide! Quickly!" Alastor whispered screamed. He brought you over to a closet at the start of a long hallway. It was sort of spacious. Good enough for you to hide it at least. The only source of light you had was from the crack underneath the door. It outlined an umbrella leaning against the wall. You grabbed it and held it as if it were a baseball bat. Outside of the closet, all you could hear was inaudible chatter and footsteps. Some were getting closer. Some cane from above you. They were searching the whole house for you.
"I wouldn't go in there." You heard Alastor say. Footsteps were getting closer to the door of the closet. You were prepared to attack whoever opened the door. The shadow of two feet came into view in the bottom crack. Something hit the man in front of the door. He landed with a soft thud. You opened the door to see a pair of feet get dragged into the shadows of the hallway.
"It's alright, my dear." Alastor appeared in front of you with a gentle smile. "But now you must leave. Before the ones upstairs find you." You nodded and followed him to a backdoor. There were a few searchers downstairs that you had to sneak past. "Be safe," Alastor warned. "It's dark and dangerous."
"I'll be fine, Al. But you need to watch out as well. Don't let them find out." With that, you ran into the woods, towards what you thought was the way home. The minutes felt like hours as you only got more lost. Damn whoever reported you.

○□○□○□○□○□○

The men gathered back into Alastors living room. All except one.
"Where'd Gary go?" The first man questioned.
"Oh, the police chief?" Alastor had thrown his unconscious body down the stairs to his basement. The sound of his neck snapping was so loud, he was frightened someone might hear. "He left saying that since nothing seemed out of place he'd go back out into the woods in search of The Candy Lady."
Most of the men looked confused but believed it. They all hustled out of the house in search of their friend. Alastor dashed for the back door. He looked out into the woods, silently hoping you made it home safely.

○□○□○□○□○□○

You couldn't tell how long you'd been wondering for. Felt like hours. It could have been with how the moon was now positioned. You were in pain, cold, and unsure of where you were. You contemplated finding a cave or covering yourself with leaves until the sun broke the night barrier. It also didn't help that you'd jump at every noise. For the first time in a long time, you were scared. Death lurked and you didn't even know it. But you felt its unrecognizable aura.

9:19 pm:
Time moved slowly. Your eyes began to weigh you down. Legs beginning to crumble under your weight. Soon, your body couldn't take it. Too much stress was built up and you fell as it came crashing down. First, you fell to your knees. Then, as your eyes betrayed you, you collapsed onto the damp, sticky ground. You didn't want to succumb to the drowsiness. You knew it could kill you but it was too late. You finally fell asleep. Breathing steady and laying helpless on the forest floor.

-----------------------------------------
I'm sorry for how long this chapter took to release. I wanted to publish sooner but I didn't have a clue as to what direction this one was going in.
Anyway, love yall and hope you like the story. Post as soon as I can