Prologue: Dearest Reader

(Note: This story will, in most chapters, be told in Nancy's POV. Only the prologue is in third person.. enjoy!)

Song: Material Girl by Kris Bowers

Dearest Reader,

Yet another season has arrived, bringing more reason to bury one's nose in the latest chronicles of the Ton. Eyes may search great lengths for this author, but rest assured my true identity will never grace in your presence. After the rather shocking events of last season, many wonder what the near future has in store for the Ton. Lucky for you, this author is here to give you a small taste of what is ahead.

It appears a certain dowager countess of the ton has invited, yet again, a special guest to find one a husband. Although this guest appeared not to be a lady at all, but rather a mere maid gifted the prerogatives of the wealthy after the loss of both her parents at a young age. A generous offer indeed, Lady Danbury; or perhaps a recipe for disaster.

Now many might remember Miss Griffiths solely as the insignificant Bloomsbury child raised by Lady Danbury alongside the Duke of Hastings, but what many seem to banish from their thoughts is that this Miss Griffiths has a remarkable talent. A talent that has obtained herself to break the ideal of what it truly means to be a woman in today's society.

Much is yet to be revealed, but know that this author is rather thrilled to see how this flower has bloomed.

Yours truly,
Lady Whistledown

"Did you hear? The Bloomsbury child will be joining the ball soon

"Did you hear? The Bloomsbury child will be joining the ball soon." Lady Cowper whispers to fellow mamas before taking a sip from her champagne.

"She's returned to London? I assumed Lady Danbury had already abandoned her years ago after realizing people from Bloomsbury are doomed to be worthless."

"I heard she's been in Paris all this time and became a mistress of a very old gentleman who she seduced for money."

"Haven't you read the newest Whistledown? The girl is back to find herself a husband. Now what ill-minded gentlemen would ever lay eyes on a maid like her?"

It seems that the ton cannot hold still as many await the presence of Miss Griffiths. Not because they are thrilled to have her in their presence once more, but out of curiosity.

Ever since news spread that she was to return to London, many began to wonder what truly has become of the girl.

"Lady Danbury!" The queen calls as she comes to stand next to her dearest friend who was just in the middle of a conversation with the Bridgertons.

"Your majesty."

"Tell me, is it true that Miss Griffiths will be attending the ball tonight?" Queen Charlotte asks as she views the dancefloor.

"As a matter of fact, it is, Your Majesty. Miss Griffiths shall arrive at any moment now."

Queen Charlotte smirks as not only she, but many guests surrounding her, eagerly watch the entrance.

"Brother, remind me again who this Miss Griffiths is." Colin tells Anthony in a lower voice.

"Miss Griffiths is the woman who Lady Danbury... well... sort of adopted years ago. A good friend of Hastings as well, I remember." Anthony responds in a whisper.

"People used to call her the Bloomsbury child." Benedict adds.

"How original." Eloise mutters, already wishing to be home.

Miss Griffiths and her mother may have only been maids at the Danbury household, but the young girl always lit up the room and brought warmth and light in what used to be Lady Danbury's dark and somber life after the passing of her husband.

"Ah! I think she's arrived." Lady Danbury announces excitingly, causing almost everyone surrounding her to lay their eyes on the door.

The doors open, but not one person has entered the conservatory yet.

"Perhaps miss Griffiths is a ghost, yes?" Colin whispers, causing Benedict to chuckle.

The length of time of no one walking in, leaves the queen, the Bridgertons and even some of the mamas waiting in anticipation.

Suddenly, an underdressed wrinkly woman in a boring brown colored dress with her hair tightly brushed up into a bun walks in, causing some people to laugh.

"My expectations were low, but certainly not this low." Lady Cowper mutters to the mamas next to her.

Though loud enough for Lady Danbury to hear.

The dowager grins and takes a few steps forward. "You are looking at Miss Green, lady Cowper. Miss Griffiths' chaperone for the evening."

Slowly, Lady Cowper's smile fades.

"That is the real Miss Griffiths."

As the sound of the music begins to increase in volume, a young beautiful woman in a long old-rose colored dress enters the room, with hair as dark as midnight and warm ivory skin.

"That dress that she is wearing. It looks quite beautiful on her." Lady Violet compliments as she watches the young lady in awe.

"Beautiful indeed." Queen Charlotte responds satisfied as the corner of her lips curl up. "And she is here as a debutante, yes?"

"Very much so, your majesty. I must re-introduce her to you." Lady Danbury responds before walking away.

As the dowager countess passes Lady Cowper and the other envious mamas by, she gives them a quick look with a raised eyebrow and the proudest grin.

Let the games begin.