18. The Final Ball

Song: Like I'm gonna Lose You by VSQ

- NANCY GRIFFITHS -

"We will make a short appearance as you bid your goodbye to everyone and I promise you, we will leave right after.— Ready, dear?" Lady Danbury asks as we stand before the closed doors that lead to the annual Hearts & Flowers ball of the Bridgertons.

"I am." I respond confidently before the doormen finally open the entrance for us.

Greeted by the sound of delightful music and loud chatter, Lady Danbury and I walk into the ballroom where many guests are already present.

Almost everyone takes a second to look at me, but not too many linger.

"Now remember, child. Chin up. You have nothing to be ashamed of." Lady Danbury tells me with a reassuring smile.

"Miss Griffiths!" I hear a familiar voice call from a distance. Tension returns as I notice the queen, in a giant and elegant dress, walking towards me. "Your Majesty!" I curtsy nervously.

"Wonderful to see you again. Lady Danbury has earlier informed me about your departure. How sad it is to see you leave so soon."

"Yes.. erm– I am leaving for Paris, in fact, Your Majesty."

The queen takes a moment and remains quiet. I know I have always been one to not really care about the high society, but this is the royal family I stand before.
If her majesty feels even the slightest bit offended, I may as well bid my freedom farewell.

Finally Queen Charlotte nods with an understanding smile. "Well, I look forward for your return, Miss Griffiths. In the meantime, I bid you safe travels and I wish you well."

Excuse me, what?

In utter disbelief, I take a quick glance at Lady Danbury who can only grin. "Thank you very much, Your Majesty." I respond, giving her the perfect opportunity to walk away and enjoy the rest of the party.

"That went surprisingly well." I mutter.

"Well, you have been a perfect Diamond so far, dear. At least in the public eye." Lady Danbury responds before eyeing something behind me.

As I turn around, I see Benedict Bridgerton staring at me in the midst of a crowd with a glass of champagne in hand.

It is still hard to believe the words he uttered yesterday.

'I always felt deeply suffocated having to sneak around with you'. They keep repeating in my mind over and over again like dripping water.

"I do not know what events occurred between the two of you and at this point, I do not need to know," Lady Danbury leans in closer to me and lowers her voice. "–but I only hope you do not get on the ship on Sunday filled with regrets, dear."