*ೃ༄ Chapter 1˚◞♡ ⃗

"Excuse me, you're in my seat."

You were so engrossed in staring at the pavement outside the school that it took you a few seconds too long react to a deep male voice. You turned to face the speaker, tilting your head back a noteworthy amount to discover a pair of light brown eyes looking down on you. There was no smile as your gazes met, no usual air of politeness when addressing someone, nothing – only what looked like dislike or, better yet, disgust.

You sprang up and stepped away from the seat while apologising profusely. The whole time, in your head, you were cursing your cousin who had told you that the window seat in the last row was intended for the new transfer student. And you had believed him, because that's where all the protagonists in your favourite anime usually sit. Too bad you're not a main character, silly.

You stood at the back on the class and watched as the tall figure took a seat. A few uncomfortable moments later, after he had made sufficient preparations for class, he turned his body exactly 130 degrees to his right and addressed you once again. You noticed how his expression was kinder than the first time you had seen his face. In other words, he looked both bored and indifferent at the same time. You guessed that he was happy now that his seating position wasn't being challenged by a lost girl.

"However." He made a full stop before continuing and gesturing to his right. "This seat is free."

You let out an awkward "ahh" and smiled as you plopped your bag on the floor and yourself on the seat. The next time you someone talked to you was during lunch, but you could feel someone watching you closely.

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

"How were the first few lessons at the great Shiratorizawa Academy?" were the words of an overly enthusiastic cousin who took a seat next to you at lunch. You sat in a corner of the cafeteria that was relatively tricky to get to because of all the people. Nevertheless, he managed.

"I hate you, Satori," you replied warmly while forcing your face muscles to smile. His reaction was overly dramatic, but there was a hint of genuine curiosity.

Feeling a bit guilty, you started to explain, but in a low voice so no one could overhear. "You told me that the window seat in the back row was vacant! But it wasn't!"

He opened his mouth in mock surprise, but you continued, "Some big scary guy sat there!"

You had to stop there because in your passionate storytelling you almost inhaled a grain of rice you hadn't swallowed. Satori observed you with an unfaltering smile, his eyes clear and open, while you drank your water.

You continued your rant, now in a bit louder voice. "And I believed you! You who doesn't even go to that class!"

"Hooo," was all he said smugly before taking a big bite of his cafeteria food, which was also rice but with different side dishes.

"What do you have to say for yourself?" you demanded, feeling a bit stupid for being so dramatic but at the same time enjoying it a little bit.

What followed was half a minute of you watching your cousin chew his food while he was staring back at you.

"Oi, since when do you mix your saliva with your food so diligently?" you commented. Satori managed to get his food down while holding back laughter. His smile put you at ease.

"I guess," he slowly began.

"Yes?" you encouraged him, eyes fixed on his.

With one swift motion he snatched a [a piece of your favourite side dish] from your tray and put it in his mouth to chew for another eternity.

"Alright, I'm leaving," you said as you stood up, but he managed to grab the back of your white uniform jacket and stop your escape from that mental madness.

"I guess," he started again, this time stressing the words to get you to sit back down. After you did, he finally finished his sentence, "I just wanted you to meet Ushiwaka."

"Oh," you deadpanned. "So that's his name. As you can see, we didn't actually talk."

"No, no," he corrected you. "His name is Ushijima Wakatoshi. Ushiwaka is what we call him in the volleyball world."

"Oh, great!" You widened your eyes and smiled. Then you stood up once again, but Satori copied you and pushed you down to sit again. It would have looked slightly concerning to any bystander had it not been for your matching vibrant red hair, which made everyone write it off as "chaotic sibling energy".

You stuffed your mouth with the remaining food and listened to your cousin, not brother, improvise a great speech about the different clubs in the academy.

"But I'm guessing, and hoping," he mumbled to himself, "you'll join the girls' volleyball team."

You gave him a forced smile before picking up the remaining rice from your plate.

"No?" He was shocked. "Why not? Y/n!"

Ding-dong-ding-dong the bell rang, and you were both suddenly in a hurry. He continued nagging you for an answer while you were putting away your trays and exiting the cafeteria. You were ignoring him but caught a glimpse of his expression for a second: defeated, worried, sad, shocked – a face that would haunt you for the rest of the day.

"I'll join the sewing club," you said to him before you entered your classroom.