*ೃ༄ Chapter 4˚◞♡ ⃗

Ever since that day you turned a new page in your volleyball book and wrote "practising with Ushiwaka is fun" as the title. After some one-on-one sessions a few boys started to linger, and you got the chance to practice with them. Once enough of the team stayed after practice, you even got to play in a practice match with them. You dared not to hope that this would be the start of a new chapter of your life.

You stepped out of the school building into a chilly evening. You had practised for a long time that day, but it didn't matter because you were happy. While gazing at the sunlit sky you felt the tranquillity of the moment, scared of losing the bliss.

Ushiwaka, who had waited for you despite your telling him that there is no need for him to trouble himself, spoke up. "You're smile is different tonight."

"Oh, really, O wise Ushiwaka?" you cheekily replied, akin to your cousin's usual responses. "And what could be the cause of that?" you continued to tease him. You had spent so much time with him that you were very familiar with his nature and he with yours, and you were pretty sure he could tell when you were joking.

He smiled at your dramatics. "I was hoping you could tell me about it while we walk together."

You silently took your usual place by his side and started walking to your place, another thing he insisted on doing despite your reassurances. It was nice walking with him though, so it was not like his presence was unwelcome.

"I've been thinking a lot about volleyball. I think I've lost my love."

He looked at you but remained silent, eagerly waiting for you to elaborate. You were ready to do just that.

"It's not that I dislike volleyball, but I can tell that I only play because I can play with you."

"Is practicing with me a bother to you then?"

"No, not at all. I love playing with you, but not because of volleyball. It's hard to explain," you laughed. After this amusement wore off, you added, "But the reason I was able to let go of my negative feelings towards the sport is thanks to you." You turned to face him. "Most definitely."

He didn't smile, just replied "I'm happy about that."

You continued walking in silence, which was commonplace for you. Wakatoshi rarely spoke unless he had something important to say. You tried to follow his lead.

"Can I talk to you about something?" you began.

"Of course."

"I've decided to become the manager for the team."

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

The next day you showed up during practice. "I'd like to apply to be the team's manager," you said to the old coach.

The whole gym, although pretending to be busy with warmups, was carefully listening.

He looked at you with his round sunken eyes. "I refuse to make you the manager." You don't know whether you imagined it or not, but you heard the whole gym gasp. No one was expecting you to be rejected.

You also weren't expecting a rejection since it had taken you so long to finally come to a decision, which of course didn't eliminate the possibility, but the thought of one surely hadn't crossed your mind. With your thoughts racing you asked for an explanation and this time everyone gathered to listen.

"We haven't had a manager for years. It's already fall, and you will graduate in the spring. Most 3rd years retire from club activities early anyway. Not to mention that you fell asleep when you came to watch our practice match!"

"While all of that is true, I still believe"-

"You can't change my mind, Y/n."

Coach Washijo knew you, the girl who always showed up after practice for extra practice couldn't have escaped his notice. He also knew of your remarkable skills and the influence you had on the team's spirit, but he refused to acknowledge it. He was in the position to refuse, so he refused just for the sake of refusing.

You bit your lip and looked down in frustration. There was nothing you could do. So much for wanting to help a team you really liked.

"Coach," Ushiwaka spoke up, "there is no harm in having a manager and she would find a replacement before she graduates. Please reconsider."

The rest of the team murmured in agreement, although not as directly as the captain. Satori was looking at you with a grin that you decided to ignore. You could not risk your chances by making a face or giving a snarky comment.

The old coach hmpf-ed, clearly not happy with the idea, but as Ushijima was the captain, the axis of the team and a man who meant everything he said, his words carried a lot of weight. Finally, the coach let out a grumpy "fine" and everyone cheered, you included. Later, you went to thank the old coach and apologised for falling asleep.

It didn't take long for you to learn the ropes. Although you weren't directly involved with the game anymore, you started to sense and anticipate what someone needed before they even said it. After you graduated, even coach Washijo admitted that you were "a very useful sort of person".

One day you were walking home with Wakatoshi after practice once again.

"Thank you for speaking up for me that day I became manager, Ushijima."

He smiled and admitted how much he has wanted you to be their manager. You sarcastically pouted at the fact that he hadn't said anything to you about it, to which he replied that he did not want to seem forceful.

"And call me Wakatoshi."