7. A Clue

There is always a pleasure in unraveling a mystery, in catching at the gossamer clue which will guide to certainty.

The night sky was clear of all clouds. The star twinkled very prettily and the moon bathed the area with its light to guide any lost souls. Most citizens of Hastinapura slept soundly, unaware of anything outside their bubble. One such citizen was sneaking back to her house. The back door of her house was left open and a lady could be seen standing there.

Advika sighed with relief as saw her house. She saw Aarini Bua standing there. She quickened her pace as to reach the threshold.

Aarini " Calm down, devi. There is no need to hurry. Your father has not slept yet. Till then, your mother had instructed for you to sneak to your room. She had kept food for you there. "

" Ji, bua. Bua, Mata kaha hai? (Yes Aunt. Where is Mother?)" Advika asked.

" Gyaat nahi devi. (I don't know, my lady) Last time I saw her, I was asked to keep watch here." Aarini replied.

"Okay bua. Hum chalte hai phir. Subhratri. (I am leaving for my room then. Goodnight.)" Advika said.

"Subhratri devi. (Goodnight, my lady)" Aarini replied.

Advika quickened her pace. She needs to reach her room before anyone saw her. She walked down the hallway, her small legs going as fast as possible. She heard voices downstairs, but did not pay any heed to them. Though she was curious, her mother's voice was rather loud, she could not investigate.

She finally reached her door and slipped inside. She went to the bath, where another mirror was placed. She looked at herself and cringed. The skirt of her dress was dirty. Her locks were matted with sweat and dust. She immediately drew a bath and scrubbed herself clean. Satisfied with herself, she changed into another dress. She walked inside and had her food.

Near midnight Aaratrika opened her daughter's door, to find her daughter sitting on the window sill.

Aaratrika entered closing the door behind her.

" You could have slept putri. It is quite late." she said.

" I could not sleep. You promised to tell mata." Advika replied.

" Yes, yes I did. " Aaratrika said.

She went and stood near the window where Advika was sitting. Advika turned towards her. Her deer like eyes looked at her mother's face questioningly. Her small hands clutched skirt as she waited.

Aaratrika did not turn towards her daughter but continued to look at the moon through the window.

"It was a similar night on the day I found you. The moonlit night seemed to bathe the entire in its glow. The trees swayed as if dancing. The flowers seem to spread their sweet intoxicating scent more on that night. As if nature itself was rejoicing. That beautiful day I was very sad. Do you know why?" She asked, as she looked towards her daughter.

Advika nodded negatively. Her eyes wide as she listened to her mother's tale. Aaratrika smiled at her before continuing " Your Pitamahi has always cared what the society thought. Your pitashree and I were married for two years at that time, yet I had not provided a child. Your Pitamahi used to taunt me a lot. That day she had spoken some very bad words to me. I had left the house without letting anyone know to the very same forest you sneak into."

Advika eyes widened in panic. She had no idea her mother knew where she went. Her mother laughed at her expression. She tried to assure her " Don't worry, I have no idea where you go. I just know it's somewhere in the forest. I don't want to know either. Possible deniability."