Chapter 8

Nova

It's a Monday morning and I've just arrived to school. I walk down the hall to my English class and take a seat at the back corner, with a spare seat beside me. If someone sits there, I'll punch them.

"Hey nerd" oh for God sakes.

"What, Tiffany?"

"What's with the attitude? I just wanted to know who you hung out with this weekend, you know, what frie- oh wait...you don't have any friends" she grins.

She looks weird doing that.

"For your information I actually did hang with someone, but it's none of your business"

"Sure you did" she scoffs.

I sigh, "can you fuck off now?"

"What did you just say to me?"

"You heard me"

She frowns and angrily grabs my hair.

I go to push her off but a voice I didn't expect cuts me off.

"Touch her again and you're dead"

She lets go and turns around, the whole class is practically staring in shock, Hazel back at school? Yeah I'm shocked too.

"Don't tell me what do to Hazel, you don't even go to school"

"I will if it's to get the words 'grow the fuck up' through your thick skull"

Tiffany rolls her eyes and angrily stomps to the front of class, taking a seat. The rest of the students eventually look away.

"Ha-Hazel what are you doing here?" I ask as she sits down beside me.

She looks so gorgeous today.

She shrugs, "felt like coming I guess, oh and also what did I say about standing up for yourself?"

I look down. But her pointer and middle finger lift my head back up. "You look really pretty"

I blush at her compliment and lean my head on her chest. "I'm glad you're at school, I'm proud that you even got up and came"

She hums.

Soon the teacher walks in and he stares wide eyed at Hazel, "oh, you're actually at school"

"Mhm"

"Well...it's good to see you again"

Throughout class Hazel just stared at the desk, completely unaware of what was going on around us.

But that's okay, whether she pays attention or not
I'm glad she found the motivation to wake up and get ready for school.

Well kinda ready, I know she's just chucked her hoodie, sweatpants and converse on and ran her fingers through her hair, and thought that was fine. Which it is. But still, she did what she could.

"Hazel"

She still stares into thin air.

"Hazel"

She finally looks at me, "hmm?"

"Are you feeling okay?"

"Yeah, just tired"

"You can sleep on my shoulder if you want? But there's only like 15 minutes of class left"

"No it's okay, just let me play with your rings yeah?"

I smile, "sure"

She leans forward and grabs my hand in her soft, but cold ones. She twists each of my rings around my fingers. But I also see she has her own rings on. It's sweet that she's playing with mine.