Chapter 4: Enemy Or Not...

E M B E R

"I don't think you have a say in it, mate." 

His eyes suddenly turn dark red, filled with anger and a hint of — hurt. 

My eyes glisten, and Rayne purrs in my mind.

Oh my goodness!

Doesn't our mate smell good?

My heart skips.

Ugh! The sudden urge to disagree makes me break eye contact only to roll my eyes and scoff noisily, and he frowns. "I don't see it that way, sorry." not sorry, actually.

His grip on my wrist tightens, and I wince as he grits. "What did you say?"

Enemy or not, our mate is hot.

I shut my connection with Rayne since she is annoying me while swooning over our mate and compose myself as I yank his hand off my wrist, slide out and snap back, "I understand that a mistake has been made, and I ended up in your territory, but it would be better for both of us if you let me go."

I turn around and click my tongue as I look over at him, "Also, of course, I have a say in my life. Who are you to boss me around?"

"Do you even realize what you are saying and where?" he steps forward at me, and my heart races when I tilt my head and pretend to have a smile. "I apologize for causing you a nuisance, so you cannot stop me—" I pause to look back, and he holds my gaze. 

My face reddens, and my heart thumps, making me realize and forcing myself to look away. I glance toward the door, knowing I need to leave now. So much to my wolf's, Rayne, dismay and without giving it another thought, I focus on rushing out of the room and walk faster to get out of his piercing gaze on my back. 

Yeah, where are you going?

I let my legs pick up a pace and waltz out of place. 

Hey! 

Our mate is inside and probably confused.

We should head back and accept — I block Rayne out of my mind again, only to abruptly stop and take a deep breath of relief, noticing I am finally out of the mansion and out on the big front lawn.

Shit.

Doubly shit.

Ugh! Why is he, my mate?

I grimace and groan.  

Heck no! It can't happen.

The Moon Goddess must have made a mistake. She might be a Goddess, but let's face it, everyone makes mistakes, no exception, right? 

I groan again before raising my head to look at the sky and sigh. What a fine day it seems, from the sunlight to the birdsong, the kind which is so ambient and easygoing to eyes and skin. What a pleasant calm setting. An irony, sure, I scoff, given how vicious this pack is. I try to calm down, gather my thoughts, and steady my heart. 

I almost smile, but the lack of energy and rest takes a toll on me, not to mention the fact that the notorious for savagery yet handsome of all men is my mate — I stumble a few steps when someone startles me by holding me gently and calls out in a sweet voice, "Hey, you okay?" 

I gasp and jump on my spot as I turn and see Clayton with a concerned expression. I scoff, "Ha— woah, it's you. You scared me." 

"Oh, my apologies." He smiles so amicably that it makes me wonder if I hadn't met my mate, I would have melted at his sight.