Chapter 16: Spar With Me!

E M B E R

"Hey, you there?" I lean over and snap my fingers.

Ivory has been in a daze since she caught Sebastian and me kissing on this bed. She didn't even notice the pack doctor leaving after treating my wounds. She has been sitting on the side of the bed with me tucked in and strict orders to make sure I stay by him until now, when she blinks back at me, "Huh?"

I lean back against the pillows and frown as I ask, "You okay?" 

It was embarrassing back then, like how awkward it is now.

Ivory straightens up and clears her throat, "Hmm."

I cough up and state, "Uh, I don't think so. I don't think you are okay. If you want to talk about what happened, you can tell me—" "OH, MY GOD! THIS IS NEWS." she abruptly exclaims, which makes me cringe at the interruption, and I murmur, "Uh, maybe less shouting and more talking?"

"Oh, sorry!" she tries to tone her voice down, but her eyes light up in excitement.

Ivory claps her hands in glee. "I just can't believe it. I really can't believe it. This is all so shocking." I wonder how she will react when I tell her I am not just a human being. "No one knew. You and Alpha— I mean, you and Seb being mates. I'm happy, really am happy, but I am just surprised."

I roll my eyes and mumble, "Tell me about it."

"Huh?" Ivory frowns.

Startled, I look back at her and cough up, "I was in shock, too, back then."

Ivory notices that and then clicks her tongue, "Oh, is that why you pretended not to know? But how did you know about our existence or what mates are to us when you are a human?"

Ha, here it is. So we are doing this right now?

I fake a grin.

Cool.

"I didn't take you seriously back then about what we talked about at the mall. I thought we were just playing along with the jokes. You know what I mean," she snorts and sighs. I fake a wider grin and dig my nails into my skin under the comforter. I scratch my neck and clear my throat, "Oh, yeah, about that—"

Ivory looks over at me. Her excitement isn't dimmed, and it makes it harder for me to have eye contact. 

I straighten up and clear my throat, "Uh, there is something I need to tell you."

"What?" she blurts out with no judgment in her voice, only kindness.

Ashamed, I lower my head and bite my lip as silence settles between us. I am unbeatable, but this anticipation and anxiety are clearly going to beat me.

Should I even tell her my entire truth?

Or should I lie once again?

It's so awkward to face a friend who is looking at you with so much hope in her eyes. I fidget with my nails enough to feel blood through the sides as I internally wince.

That's when Ivory startles me by grabbing my shoulder and giving it a squeeze as I flutter my eyelashes to look back at her. I frown as she tilts her head and beams, "It's okay if you find it difficult to share whatever it is that you want to. You don't have to force yourself—" it makes me shudder and fidget more before I blurt out, "I'm a werewolf."

"What?" her hand slips, and she gapes at me.

I take a deep breath and sigh with a nod. "Yeah, I am your kind."