Chapter 21: Am I Dead?

E M B E R

Darkness surrounds me that I can't see or hear anything until an abrupt ray of light shines through the ceiling.

I flinch before I slowly open my eyes to a woman looking at me, and when our eyes lock, she tilts her head and smiles.

She has long brown hair and bright eyes that make me say in an unsteady voice, "Mom?"

Her smile widens as I force myself to sit up and firmly say, "Mom."

Almost immediately, tears sting my eyes, and my voice choked up, "Is that you, Mom? You're here!"

She gently grabs me by my shoulders and helps me get up as we face each other. She tucks my hair behind, caresses, and cradles my face as she murmurs, "Yes, sweetie. I'm here." Her voice is smooth as silk and clear as crystal.

A momentary happiness fills me up until I notice our surroundings. Fluffy white clouds and light replace the darkness, but I frown, looking back at her. "Mom? What's this place? This looks just like our home, but why is it so empty and bright?" I ask, my eyebrows knitting together in confusion.

"We're home, sweetie." She cradles my face.

"Is dad here too?" I ask, slightly excited.

My mom nods and murmurs, "He is getting your room ready. So that we all stay together once again like before ... forever."

I know I should be happy and smiling like an idiot, but the thought also provoked a tinge of ache in my heart.

"What is it, sweetie? Don't you like it? Don't you like living with your parents?"

I look up and shake my head. "No, mom. It's not like that. I—" That's when something flickers, and a screen appears in the sky, grabbing my attention. I turn my head only to see a lifeless body lying on a bed with the heart rate machine line completely flat, and those familiar faces look down in despair and sorrow.

"Is... is that me?" I stutter and point at the screen.

My mom nods in response.

I gasp. "I ... I look dead." I don't know what else to say. I don't know how to describe this feeling.

Suddenly a familiar redhead enters the room and roars, "What do you mean she is? She's dead?"

Sebastian!

"Alpha!" Clayton follows behind.

"She's dead." Dexter turns to him and says, sadness webbing his voice.

Sebastian frantically looks around and then limps over to the bed, only to hold my hand. I look down as if I would feel his warm hand, but I can't because I am not there, and he is not here.

I see no one else except my mate fidget, slumps down on the floor and shakes his head, murmuring, "No, it can't be."

Tears sting my eyes.

"She can't be dead! She can't die!"

He looks so vulnerable, and it breaks my heart.

"It's so unfair. So unfair that when we could have done so many things together, we didn't, and when I could have treated you better, I didn't. I know it's my fault, and I also know I don't deserve you, but I can't live without you, Ember. I don't want to live without you. We have a lot to do, so please don't die! Please, come back to me, Ember! I promise I will treat you right. I promise to be the man you deserve to be with, the best one. Please come back —" And with that, I watch him break down.

"Mom!?" I call her out and look at her with a tear-stained face minutes later.

"Yes, sweetie?" She replies and smiles.

"Why are you here?" I flat-out ask her.

My mother takes her sweet time answering as she walks toward me, only to cover my eyes with her warm hand.

"Be happy, my baby." She whispers, and with her touch, I'm awake and living once more.

My eyes flutter open, and I find an off-white ceiling above me, but I slightly flinch when someone cries out, "Oh, Ember! Look, she woke up!"

I take a deep breath and slowly sit up on the bed as Ivory runs up to me, and I look around to notice all my friends staring down at me before they join the tear-stained blonde. They gently welcome me back to the land of the living when I'm briefly reminded of my dream.

So vivid.

It felt real.

And if even it didn't happen, it was still so good to see my mom, even if in my dream.

I almost smile when I sense his presence.

Sebastian's.

I turn my head and lock my eyes with his swollen, watery green ones, breaking my heart already. I should act normal. I mentally nod and then clear my throat, "Uh, what happened? I don't remember anything after I passed out, well, except, of course, meeting my mum and now—"

Sebastian briefly smiles through his tears and rushes toward me, only to startle me by pulling me into a tight hug. "I'm just glad that you're alright, though."

I gasp.

Immediately after, I smile and whisper back, "Me too." in his warm embrace, wishing we could stay like this forever.