Chapter 4

Enola

"What is this?" Tewksbury demands me as he crumples up the paper in his fist angrily.

"I'm sorry, I swear I was gonna tell you. Just not now because there was the ball and you were so happy I was coming. I just wanted us to have some fun and spend time together" I said speaking at an abnormally fast rate.

He looks down, sighing. I knew he understood my reason. He lets out a heavy breath after a couple of moments. "You should've told me. Damnit Enola what if something happened to you and I find out it was all my fault?" He finally looked at me.

No. This is exactly what I feared. He was gonna leave me. Just so I could be safe.

Tears burned behind my eyes but I dared not let them fall. I wanted to ask him if he was gonna leave me. But I couldn't. I felt a piercing ache in my heart. Is this what heartbreak felt like? I questioned the flat ache in my throat. It felt like my heart was stopping and my throat was closing up, preventing me from speaking or even making noise. I stuttered bringing the words up my throat. "A-are you gon-gonna leave me?" I finally pushed the words past the pain.

Was there pain in his heart as well? Did it feel like he couldn't talk? Was he desperately trying to hide his tears just like me? I didn't know.

I walked closer to him and grabbed his hands in mine. His hands were soft and gave off that familiar warmth I loved. I looked into his eyes. Searching them for an answer. I couldn't see one. "I don't know." He answered and he just walked away. His back facing me.

What the hell. What kind of answer is that. I mean I guess he might be a bit sad because of the way his shoulders slumped and his head faced down to his feet as he walked.

Breaking away from my thoughts I turned to see Tewksbury turn away from the hallway, back to the ballroom. Not wanting to miss my chance to speak to him. I quickly ran after him.

I caught up to him just as he was leaving through the front doors. Nobody was outside. They were all enjoying themselves in the ballroom as they danced and chatted. I could hear laughing and music playing.

"What kind of answer is that?" I questioned trying to show dominance in my voice. Yet I stopped the minute I saw Tewksbury's teary eyes. I felt my heart break at the sight.

This was all my fault.

"I just need some time to think" he looked down immediately not meeting my eye contact. "I promise I'll tell you my answer in a few days, just give me some time to think. Okay?" His voice becoming low. "Okay" I replied turning my head to the side. Not bothering to look at him either.

Tewksbury brushed past me after a couple of moments, he was walking towards his fancy carriage. As he opened the door he turned his head to look at me one last time. But I moved my position so I couldn't see his teary face. I couldn't bear too. I knew that if I did look back, nothing would stop the tears fighting to come down my cheeks. Nothing would stop the overbearing urge to just run and throw myself in his arms. After a few seconds the impulse to to peek overcame.

I peeped to see if Tewkbury was still staring, but all I saw was his carriage riding off into the moonlit road.

———————————————————————————

I left the ball shortly after Tewksbury did. There was no point in going back inside without him beside me.

I called for a carriage home.

When I arrived at me and Sherlock's shared flat. I didn't waste a moment as I walked inside and went straight into my room.

Sherlock was working on his desk, probably on a case or something. "How was the ball?" Sherlock yelled across the huge living room but I didn't reply and slammed my door

Hopefully that told him that I did not wish to speak to anyone at all. I jumped straight onto my bed. I didn't even bother changing. I was much too sad.

I let the tears fall slowly as I dug my face into a pillow. Then darkness consumed my vision putting me into a deep sleep.

——————————————————————————

I woke up to the birds chirping. Normally this would be a good way to start the day. But today was not a good day. Whatsoever

I rolled out of bed and looked into the mirror.

I was a mess. A literal mess.

My hair was tangled into dozens of knots. My necklace had travelled sideways on my neck. My eye makeup which consisted of a subtle black eyeshadow on my lash line was smudged all over my eyelid. And my clothes looked dirty. I'm sure I probably smelt too.

I needed a hold on myself. So I took off my jewelry and polished it. I brushed through the knots on my hair. I took a bath. I scrubbed my body and face removing all the smell, dirt and makeup off. I changed into cleaner clothes and put my hair in my usual semi half updo.

When I walked out of my room, Sherlock was nowhere to be seen. I think he was out. So I took the time to peacefully make breakfast for myself. Scrambled eggs with a side of sausage.

After breakfast, I decided to go for a mini walk to the mailbox located in the lobby of the flat building I lived in. I opened the front door and was about to walk out when a man lying right beside the door caught my attention.

Tewksbury. He was sleeping and he looked like a mess. Quite like me when I woke up this morning. His back was leaning against the wall. He was still wearing the same clothes from last night.

I inquired he came here last night but fell asleep because I wasn't answering the door.

I walked over to him and got down on my feet so I was at eye level with him. He looked so handsome while he slept. I felt bad for waking him up. But he was in my way.

He woke up after a couple of nudges on the shoulder. He blinked aggressively and then turned to look at me. His eyes widened and his eyebrows raised a bit as he recognized me. He got up straight away, his hands flying to his coat sides trying to fix the mess they were.

"Enola I-I'm so sorry for last night. I thought about what you said and I realized I over reacted and I shouldn't be mad at you. You don't deserve it. I just didn't want you to get hurt especially because of me I love you Enola. More than anything. It honestly scares me at times, how I can't seem to stay away from you. I would never leave you. I would never let some crazy lady come between us. I'm sorry. Please forgive me Enola" Tewksbury explained himself. His face looked down as he avoided eye contact with me.

I believed him. Every word he said. How could I not? He came to me in the middle of the night because he wanted to apologize. When I didn't answer my door, he didn't even go home. He sat there waiting for me for hours.

I smiled as I walked even closer to him. Tewksbury raised his head at last looking at me. He looked confused but I simply just brought my hands to the sides of his face as I kissed his lips.

I let my lips tell him that I forgave him. That I love him too. I broke the kiss to see what he was thinking. I looked into his eyes telling him with my own that I forgave him.

He nodded his head understanding. He then kissed me again passionately. I could feel his hot tears sliding down his cheek as we kissed. I broke the kiss to kiss his cheeks. I kissed away the tears that fell down his cheekbone. Feeling my own coming down my cheeks as well.

Tewksbury wiped them away with his thumb. He looked at me and we smiled at the same time. I love him.