Chapter 48

The next day, Faye was working on the presentation since Eve had ended up calling in, saying she was not feeling well and couldn't make it in today. There was a knock at the door before Dave entered the room, "Faye, it's time for the presentation," he said as he noticed Eve was not here today.

"She is not here today. She called in, saying she was not feeling well. I'll be there in a few minutes," Faye said with her eyes glued to the laptop screen while finishing up the presentation as she had read his mind.

"Oh," he said quietly and left the office. Once he left the office, Faye finally looked up from the screen and watched him, slowly making his way toward Leo's office. Faye sighed before going back to the presentation.

_____

"What! Why would you say that?" Eve said, shocked.

"Then why are you always quiet and looking at the floor when it comes to me? As if you are uncomfortable around me. Did I do something to you?" Dave said.

"It's not like that...," Eve tried to say.

"Then what is it then?" Dave said, not understanding why she acted this way. "Is it simply because you don't like me?" he added.

"No! It's the opposite!" she blurred as she realized what she said and covered her mouth.

"What did you say?" his mind froze for a minute. "....Does that mean you like me?" he said as Eve's cheeks were turning red. Her silence answered his question as he said, "then why... I don't understand why you act that way?" He stared at her as she felt cold sweat going down her back. "I- I... know you like timid and pure types, so... I thought if I could be like that... you would like me...."

"Wait, how did you know that?" Dave said, not understanding how she came to such a conclusion as he never told her his type was.

"From a friend... I asked one of my friends to ask you..." she said as her voice was becoming quieter. Then he remembered he told a woman that his type was a pure and timid woman, but he just said that so the woman would leave him alone. He would never have expected that Eve would hear that and believe it.

"So this whole time, you lied to me. Just to make me fall for you? Then who are you really.... I don't even know you now. So were you going to pretend to be someone else and never tell me? Were you planning to pretend forever? I- I don't know what to say to you anymore...," Dave walked away from Eve.

"No... that was not my intent!" Eve tried saying, but it was too late. She didn't want to lie to him...

She was also getting tired of pretending to be someone else; she was not. It felt like she couldn't tell who she was either...

____

"Dave?" Leo said again.

"Sorry, sir. You called?" Dave snapped out of his thoughts as the presentation was over. Leo and Faye looked at him.

"You seem pretty distracted today," Leo said.

"Sorry, sir," Dave said, picking up all the binders and papers.

All three of them had left the conference room. "Great job today, " Leo said to Faye.

"It's my job," Faye said nonchalantly. "Well, since I finished the presentation. I'll be heading out," Faye said, walking towards the elevator, but as she was walking, Leo was also following her. "Why are you following me?" she said.

"I'm not following you. I have to attend an event," Leo said as Faye's lip tightened in annoyance, and didn't say anything back. Dave was also following behind them. "You can stay behind, Dave. You are too distracted today," Leo turned his head towards Dave.