3: Combat Training

The following day began regularly. We had all of our core classes at the beginning of the day. English, taught by Present Mic; Math, taught by Ectoplasm; Science, taught by Midnight; and History, taught by Snipe. They were all introductory today, going over the class curriculum and outlining some important deadlines and ideas to focus on. A few classes got started on their first lessons, while others did some ice-breaker games instead. Many of us already got along and had met each other, but it was nice to learn more about the people I wasn't as acquainted with.

Then, we moved onto lunch, where the pro hero Lunch Rush made amazing meals for all the students. I, unfortunately, always brought my own lunches. Still, I always picked and prodded at Kirishima and Kaminari's meals, so I'd be able to try his food regardless.

"Man, I'm starving!" Kirishima grumbled, slouching over. We had just left our first history lesson, which was the final core class of the day.

"I've been so bored all day, I feel like I'm gonna fall asleep any second," Kaminari yawned.

"You guys are just wimps," Sero laughed.

"You were on your computer pretending to take notes while you played Galaga," I snorted, and he looked off to the side in response. He pursed his lips and rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. Kirishima laughed along with me.

"Respect," Kaminari pounded his hand twice against his chest, "I totally should've done that."

"Maybe you should've been taking notes with all those fancy highlighters you bought," Kirishima snickered. Kaminari rolled his eyes, throwing his arms behind his neck, relaxed.

"It's the first day!" Kaminari said lazily, "I get a break before I go ham the rest for the semester."

Kirishima looked at me, deadpanning. "I think I overestimated his ability to stay focused on his studies."

"I may lose the bet too!" I laughed, "He could give up by week one!"

"Hey!" Kaminari whined.

"There's a bet?" Sero asked, grinning. "What'd you guys bet on?"

"He'd give up on being an 'excellent student' by week two," I hummed, putting finger quotes around the phrase as I rolled my eyes.

"Week three for me!" Kirishima smiled.

"Can I take week one?" Sero asked, making all of us laugh. Kaminari punched Sero in the arm repeatedly, making us laugh harder.

I paused, looking into my bag. It was more empty than usual. "Oh shoot. I must have left my lunch in homeroom."

The boys stopped alongside me. Kirishima asked, "You can grab it when we meet there before Hero Basic Training. Come on, I'll buy you lunch."

"No, no, no- I can't ask that of you!" I said quickly, waving my hands. "I'll just run and grab it real quick- meet you guys in the cafeteria?"

"Sure," Sero grinned.

"Want me to walk with you?" Kirishima asked, facing toward me as the other two boys started walking away.

I laughed, "Mom, I can walk through one of the most secure facilities in Japan by myself."

"Okay, okay," Kirishima sighed, smiling. "Just let me know if you need anything."

"Stop worrying," I rolled my eyes, flicking him in the forehead.

"Never have, never will," he smiled.

I smiled back, then turned around and hurried back up the stairwell to the hero course floor. I checked behind me as I reached the floor, quickly moving toward the classroom. I kept myself outwardly nonchalant, but moved quickly down the hallway. I kept close to the wall, walking as quickly and quietly as I could. Every few steps, I checked behind me, and every time I passed a branching hallway, I peeked around the corner before continuing.