09

On Friday after school, i was seated on the bleachers with my best friends, minus Jake, as we waited for the game to begin.

"Can someone please explain how the game works?" Alicia asked the group. Hannah, who was seated beside me, rolled her eyes.

Cody explained how the game works, saying a bunch of stuff I didn't even understand myself, and i have been to plenty of football games, more than I care to count, and I even played under 12's for a short while. Growing up, my dad had tried so hard to get both me and my brother into sports. He'd make us watch the games with him, he'd even take us out on weekends to play in the park. Mitchell was the only one who inherited our father's athleticism. I, on the other hand, couldn't play to save my life. I had played little league alongside Mitchell and Grayson when I was ten, but after I had ended up with a broken arm, my mom pulled me from the team. I never liked sports, so I was over the moon when my mother forbade me from ever joining another sports team again. Thereafter, my dad focused solely on turning Mitchell into a good player, with hopes that he would one day get an athletic scholarship and eventually go pro.

"Should we go and quickly get some snacks before the game starts?" Hannah looked to me and asked.

"Yes!" I stood up before I had answered her.

We made our way through the bleachers and headed to the canteen to buy some snacks. As we waited in line, Hannah started complaining about Alicia.

"Ugh, she's so annoying. Honestly, what does Jake even see in her?" She groaned, brushing her hair behind her ears.

"Maybe he actually likes her?" I suggested.

"Well, I hate her." She sighed.

It took me a second, but I finally clicked on. "Wait.... Do you?" I paused, taking a breath. "Do you like Jake?" I asked her.

She scoffed. "What?"

"You do, you actually like him." I playfully poked her in the arm.

"Fine! I like him, you'd better not tell anyone." She warned me.

I closed my mouth shut with an imaginary zipper. "Your secret is safe with me."

I can't believe it. Hannah likes Jake?! How have I never noticed this before?

After getting some snacks and a few sodas, Hannah and I returned to the group just a moment after the game had kicked off.

"Wooohooooo!" Hannah cheered as she sat down and took a slurp from her soda.

I took a seat between Hannah and Phillip, bracing myself for a long ass game as I dug into a packet of Lay's potato chips: sour cream and onion flavor, of course.

Mitchell's team won.

Traditionally, whenever our team wins a game, they go out for pizza; strictly exclusive. But, since Grayson landed the final touchdown of the match, he decided to throw a celebratory party at his place.

"No. No, Nope. Did I mention, Noooo! I would rather stick a freshly sharpened pencil in my eye than go to a party hosted by Grayson Scott." I told both Hannah and Cody as we were seated in Hannah's car.

I can't trust my drunken self, he's clearly mental and completely off his rocker. The last thing on earth that I needed was to end up drunk, again, and somehow end up locking lips with Grayson fucking Scott, again.

"Come on, it's a party. Parties are fun-ish... Pleaseeeee come!" Hannah begged.

"Yeah, please come. Pretty pweaseee." Cody chimes in.

I groaned. "Nah. There's this new series on Netflix that I wanted to watch, I might just do that instead."

Cody blew a raspberry at me. "You're no fun."