15

FIFTEEN

When Hâroon woke up for Dhuhr, he accompanied his father, Ayyûb, and Badr to the masjid, where they met up with Ya’qoob. His brother was exuberant and joyful. There was no sign of the pain and struggle he’d detected in him when he’d visited last year, making him wonder if the issue between Ya’qoob and Noorah, whatever it had been, was resolved. The presence of the other men prevented him from asking. 

After prayer, Hâroon returned to the Elm Creek main house with his father and grandfathers. Then, while his mother ate with her mother, mother-in-law, and the children in the kitchen, Hâroon and Yahyâ ate in the dining room with Ayyûb and Badr.

Shortly after ’Asr, Ya’qoob came over. “Noorah’s mother chased me out of my own apartment,” he complained, throwing himself on the couch. “She said women are going to start coming over to see Noorah and the baby. Can’t a husband have some privacy with his wife and newborn child? They can come to the ’aqeeqah if they want to see them that much.”

Ayyûb cackled. “Sorry to burst your bubble, boy, but women are probably going to be pouring into your place for at least the next week.”

Ya’qoob groaned. “That’s not fair. It’s my place. Don’t I have any say in who, when, and how many visit? They’re probably going to tire out Noorah. She’s not a social person.”

“Alternatively, she can go stay at her parents until the visits stop,” Ayyûb said with a knowing smile, obviously realizing Ya’qoob would not stand for having his beloved wife away from him any longer than necessary. “I hear that’s what they do in Middle Eastern countries. The mother and her new baby spends the forty days after birth in her mother’s house. Then her parents can deal with all those women instead of you.”

Ya’qoob looked horrified. “Absolutely not,” he said. “My wife and daughter are staying where they are.”

Ayyûb and Badr exchanged a glance and laughed.

Ya’qoob frowned at them.

Not long after Ya’qoob’s arrival, ’Alîyâ left with Firdaws and Jannah to see Noorah as well.

“Make sure the visitors don’t overwhelm her or tire her,” Ya’qoob said as he followed them to the door. “Noorah doesn’t like having lots of people around.”

“Don’t worry,” ’Alîyâ consoled him. “I’m sure her mother’s seeing to that, but I will, too.”

After the women were gone, the men were left with just each other and Hâroon’s children for company. Ya’qoob helped Yusrâ build a tower in a corner of the den; Yahyâ and Badr engaged in a conversation about the farm; and Ayyûb, tried to encourage Ibrâhîm to say “car” while he was playing with his favorite battery-operated toy car. It wasn’t working, but Hâroon admired his maternal grandfather’s patience.

“What are the doctors saying?” Ayyûb finally asked him.

“Not much,” he admitted. “I haven’t met a single one who can figure out what’s wrong with him or why he stopped talking.”

Ayyûb sighed. “May Allâh help you and heal him.”

“Ameen.”

“Boys, we’ll need to cook dinner,” Yahyâ said, obviously addressing him and Ya’qoob, though neither of them were boys anymore. “I don’t think your mother is coming back anytime soon.”

Hâroon nodded and stood. Ya’qoob followed suit.

“You’ll be eating with us, right, Dad, Uncle Ayyûb?” Yahyâ asked the two older men.