26

TWENTY SIX

The next morning, Hâroon woke up to two small, warm bodies sprawled out on top of him. It was a task to remove himself without waking them. When he was finally free of the twins and had settled them both, he quietly left the bedroom and headed to the kitchen for his morning cup of coffee. He was unsurprised to find both his parents already up when he entered the kitchen.

“Assalâmu ’alaykum,” he said.

“Wa’alaykumus salâm,” they replied.

“I made coffee,” his mother said, gesturing to the coffee maker.

Hâroon smiled. “Thank you.”

After the three of them had finished their coffee, they prayed Tahajjud together in the den. Then Yahya read from his mushaf as Hâroon and ’Alîyâ quietly listened. Hâroon had missed this family routine he’d grown up with. Though he knew his parents couldn’t stay permanently, he enjoyed the familiarity of it.

Once the time of Fajr was nearing, he and his father left, taking Hâroon’s car. On the way back, Hâroon showed his father where Yusrâ’s playgroup was so he or ’Alîyâ could take her later.

When they returned to the house, ’Alîyâ had started cooking breakfast. They sat down to scrambled eggs, turkey bacon, and mugs of coffee.

“You and your mother can go furniture shopping after you come home from work,” Yahyâ suggested as they ate. “I’ll watch the kids.”

“Are you sure?” Hâroon asked. Even though he didn’t doubt his father’s proficiency in dealing with children, he wasn’t sure how long they’d be gone and how difficult Ibrâhîm would be in the interim.

“I’ll be fine,” Yahya said, seeming to pick up on his concerns. “I can manage them for a few hours. Don’t worry.”

Hâroon gave in, and he and his mother made plans to leave for a furniture store immediately after he returned from work.

For the first time since Lila left, Hâroon was able to leave for work early. He arrived at the office before nine and only Brandon was present.

“Good morning,” he greeted his supervisor.

“Good morning,” he replied. “You’re early. Did you find a solution to your problem?”

“For now,” Hâroon said. “My parents are staying with me for a while. I still need to find something more permanent.”

Brandon nodded his understanding. “Why don’t you and your parents come over this evening for dinner? Edna and I would love to have them.”

“Not this evening,” Hâroon said. “My mother and I need to go somewhere.”

“How about tomorrow?”

“I’ll talk to them and let you know,” Hâroon promised.

When he returned home after five, his mother was ready and his father was entertaining the children in their bedroom.

After they both gave their salâm to Yahya, they left the house through the connecting garage door and drove off in Hâroon’s car.

“You know a reasonably priced place, I hope,” his mother said as he drove.

He nodded. Though Lila had chosen expensive furniture, he had bought more affordable pieces for both his room and the twins’. “I do.”

“Good. Your father and I don’t need anything pricy, and our stay is temporary anyway.”