25; in which things become complicated

4:13:23

"I really don't think this is a good idea, Bella," Edward grounds out, his upper lip twitching in annoyance as Jacob comes to a stop in his truck a few yards away. Bella reaches out and quickly squeezes his tense hand before raising her bag from her side and twisting around to fully face him. "I'm sure we can find more than enough information online and from the books we've already found." 

Pausing and sending him an unamused glance, the Swan bellows out a sigh before placing a small kiss on the side of his jaw and stepping away. 

"We both know that isn't true, and Emery doesn't have any more time for me to waste going back and forth on the same websites, with the same misinformation. Everything will be just fine. Plus, I've got to make amends." Bella says with false conviction, before turning around at the sound of the wolf's voice carrying from the other side of the treaty line. Raising his bare arm in an overdramatic way, Jacob waves uncharacteristically fast at the now annoyed vampire.

"Don't worry, kidnapping and necrophilia aren't on my to-do list. Now, you on the other hand." Jacob sarcastically trails off, biting back a smirk as he takes in the look of distain on Edward's face. Ignoring the glare being tossed at him from the Swan walking towards him, Jacob reaches over and shoves roughly on the passenger side door. 

"7:15?" He asks as Bella reaches out with her free hand and yanks the truck's door shut, shuffling inside and resting her bag on the worn-out rug underneath her feet. Reaching over, the Swan swats at his arm and sends him a quick grin before sending her mate a reassuring look. 

"6:30," Bella says with a raised tone, although she knows that they could both hear her even if she were to whisper. "I'll meet you back here on my own." 

Shaking his head, Edward looks back at his mate and then sighs when he takes in Jacob's smug expression. "Being with him is safer than being alone, especially in an area where I'm not allowed to enter," grimacing, Edward takes a step back and clears way for them to drive past once he hears the muffled sound of the engine beginning to rev. "Keep her safe." Edward says in a warning tone. 

Dropping the act, Jacob shifts the gear into drive and begins to roll his window up. Pausing, the wolf sends him a heavy look before haphazardly stepping onto the pedal. 

"Always have, and I always will. At least Emery is included in my protection." 

Bella winces at the air whipping her hair around and hitting her face, before quickly reaching down and rolling hers shut. Puffing out a weighed breath to remove some of the hair tickling her wind-chapped nose, Bella sends him a wary glance. "You know, you could be a lot nicer to him. He agreed to let me come over and speak to you and Billy." 

"Yeah, after realizing how much it was not only bothering you, but his siblings as well. Your sister had to be hospitalized and attacked before he even thought about 'allowing' you to come over to our side. Do you realize how toxic that sounds? You should be allowed to go wherever the hell you want." he scoffs out in response, before loosening his grip on the steering wheel and forcing himself to relax.

Shaking her head, Bella quickly jumped to his defense, "He's just being protective because of what's happened to Emery and the recent sightings of unknown vampires in the area. Don't forget about the animal attacks too." Raising an eyebrow, Jacob mused out, "funny how there isn't any animal attacks on our land. Seems to me like the only animal's that need to be tamed are in Forks." 

Bella goes to open her mouth, but instead just closes her eyes in defeat and rests her head on the now closed and fogging up window. Looking over at her crestfallen demeanor, Jacob decides to back off.