20; in which she discovers

4:21:02

Grunting from the impact of her stomach lurching forward and connecting to the steering wheel, Emery lets out a weak grunt. Looking back at the sunset that was slowly coming to an end, Emery forced herself to relax and focus on her surroundings. There was green everywhere. Apart from the usual mud entangled with dried grass that covered the entirety of the small town she just escaped from, the green that now surrounded her was vibrant.

Green shimmered against the puddles that reflected back up to her glassy and tired eyes, as if trying to communicate with her. The feeling of restlessness that she felt earlier was now replaced with exhaustion that sunk deep into her heavy feeling bones.

With teeth gently sinking into the dampened flesh of her inner cheek, the elder Swan shut the broken down trunk's driver side door and dropped her feet into the uneven soil.

Hands gripping onto the backpack she had dropped earlier, Emery began to take shaky steps down the nearly abandoned road. Other from the gentle whispering of cars breezily passing by only a few yards away, the road was eerily silent. The trees that she walked past carried a certain tune as she continued her way down the almost never ending road, causing the hairs that fell out during her escape to tickle against her nape and cause goosebumps to rise against her pale skin.

Swallowing to diminish the scratch in her dry throat, Emery paused midway into the parking lot she found herself in and gently shrugged her shoulder to remove her backpack. Looking around for something to lean on after a wave of exhaustion, Emery felt reluctance build inside of her as she saw her only option was to sit on an aged bench that was connected to an abandoned alley.

"Take a deep breath, take a deep breath. You wanted this." She murmured to herself, her knuckles whitening to an almost inhumane white as she gripped onto her belongings with as much strength she could muster.

Momentarily closing her eyes and focusing on the nature around her that brought her a certain amount of comfort, Emery jumped as her feet connected to cold granite.

Looking down with fear catapulting through her thin veins, she expected the worse. Instead, what she was met with was a car's divider.

Letting out a shaky laugh, the Swan raised a shaky hand and kneaded it through her damp locks, her backpack weighing down her full hand. The weight of the bag caused her to stumble forward and land in front of the bench she was originally going towards. Placing down the bag and absentmindedly opening all zippers, she began to dig down into her bag for a bottle of water. Relief filled her as her hand wrapped around the container holding her now room temperature water. Encircling her lips against the plastic, she gently lowered herself into a kneeling position as her free hand searched for her bottles of medication. Eventually finding the small orange bottle, Emery gripped onto the pill that slid into her hand with ease as she gently shook the medicine into her hand with ease.

Opening her mouth wide enough to fit the capsule into her mouth, the teen froze as a sound was echoed through the alleyway that stood only a few feet away from her.

Cautiously closing the bottles and placing them back into her bag, her shoulders involuntarily rose as the sound that once was a muffled groan turned into a loud scream.

Fear tightened every muscle in her being as the sound carried over into the damp air and into her straining ears. The sound of screaming sounded as if someone were in agony, and as the sound got closer and closer to her, a tear ran down her chilled cheek.

"Usually the scared teen runs toward the injured. Maybe you're too selfish, or," A voice let out, causing the Swan's knees to buckle as she whipped her body around toward the threat. Wide eyes met red and a sudden ringing rang painfully through her head. "Maybe you're just too weak."