Chapter 6

Nina

"Well, well, well, if this isn't Nina Oisin?" A girl's voice said, interrupting my thoughts.

I was seated in a corner of our high school lunchroom, biting into an apple after eating the single sandwich Mrs. Brown had packed for my lunch while wondering if I could get a job somewhere. I wanted to be able to buy something more for lunch since I couldn't bring cafeteria leftovers to school . That was when the girl came to confront me.

I looked up to see the girl I'd seen Emery following around like a puppy on a leash.

Well, isn't this the Caister Town high school queen bee and Kyle's sister? I moved my gaze to search for and found Emery two steps behind the school's most popular girl, like a good little sidekick. Except this sidekick was probably using her friend to confront me because Liam had told her about seeing Kyle and me together in a janitor's closet.

"What do you want?" I asked while getting ready to fight like the street animal I was.

If she thought I was going to be one of those girls who would cow in her presence, Abigail Eden had it all wrong.

I lived on the streets for five months with my brother, lived in a trafficker's den for a year and a half, and lived in the hellhole that was my pack for many more years and I could take whatever she wanted to give and return it back to her ten times.

She increased the volume of her voice as she said, "Oh, nothing. I just wanted to see one of Lord Westhouse's little bitches pretending to be a boy. Was this how you and Lord Westhouse got it on? Some sort of role play?"

I rolled my eyes as everyone turned to stare at us now just as the short girl behind Kyle's sister walked toward me, pulling off my hoodie and revealing the small ponytail I'd locked my short but rapidly growing hair into.

Although I had tried to pass as a man in terms of mannerisms, I hadn't tried to hide my gender and identity with the glamor I used in Lord Westhouse's trafficking den because the Supernatural Council prohibited me from using that spell ever again.

I didn't care that everyone now knew who I was because I had expected someone to reveal the secret of who I was, eventually. Pretending to be a boy was just my efforts at getting some peace and quiet for a short while so I could get used to life in Caister Town.

When the short girl made a move to touch my ponytail, I held her hands and used them to yank her to the side while kicking her away from me.

Although I wasn't properly trained or strong enough to qualify as a standard warrior, I knew dirty fighting tricks, street fighting, and non-systematic fighting. And these little girls waiting to find their mates to live a so-called fantasy mated life were no match for me.

"If you touch me, I'll hurt you. Don't worry, I don't mind going to the principal's office or getting suspended. I can beat you up and break any bones you want. All you have to do is touch me." I dropped the threat while gazing at each of the three girls in turn and then scanning the lunchroom with a copy of the sinister grin that Lord Westhouse's head guard was known for.

After sending a sinister smile toward Emery just to kick some fear into her, I walked past her, snatching the paper bag containing her lunch from her.

If she had the same over-inflated ego and self-righteous pride as her mother, she wouldn't dare tell her mother what happened for the time being.

***

I was washing the dirty dishes from breakfast in the cafeteria that should have been cleaned by the pack omegas on the day shift when I heard a thud and was suddenly splashed with dirty water from head to toe.