21 | Amy

September 20th, 2023

"Hello? Rylie? What's wrong honey? You never call this late."

"Amy, I don't know why I'm calling if I'm being honest," I start to retreat.

"No, you know I'm on call at night tonight, I'm up. Tell me what's going on."

"If you're at work, it's okay. I can call you tomorrow."

"No. Talk to me." The sternness in her voice makes me feel cared for.

I spill everything out. Everything about the cafe and how Marla has a heart condition. How I'd been in a long-distance type of relationship situation with Dylan for a month and a half now. The only thing I leave out is Dylan's last name. Since I was young, she'd been wary about cameras being around me, terrified that I would be subjected to what my father put me through before he left me.

That wasn't the problem with I and Dylan though. I didn't mind being in the spotlight as much as I cared about the distance between us. I wanted to be with him, and if that meant being in the spotlight I'd been hiding from for years, I was fine with that.

"Well thank you for telling me, Rylie." I hear the tone in her voice that she has more to say, so I don't say anything. "You never have to tell me anything you don't want to. You're your own person, and a full adult now, but if you ever need someone, come to me. You don't need to sit for six weeks without someone to talk to."

I nod, "I know. I would have called sooner, but I really didn't know all of this was bothering me so much."

"Why don't you come to Oregon? Just for the weekend? I can take the Friday off and we can just have a weekend to chill out."

"I don't know, I have a ton to do, and I don't want you to call in just because I'm feeling down."

"You need your mom right now... and I think I can step in for a little bit."

It was true, I missed my mom a lot, even though I only got to have her in my life for such a small amount of time.

"Okay, next weekend then?"

"Next weekend."

🪿
ooo Rylie is going home? Wonder how this is going to go?

🪿
Katelynn J. Peterson

Published: September 14th, 2023