XXIX

My Christmas List: December 11th
Let me make a good first impression on Armani's parents.

❆❆❆❆❆❆

I blinked a couple of times. Finally piecing together the familiar features of the older man and woman.

Stella's features were somewhat familiar, but it was clear that Alessandro's genes were much stronger when it came to his children.

Alessandro walked toward me, holding out a hand and flashing his white charismatic smile, "It's nice to meet you, Ms. Cadiuex."

I hesitantly grabbed his hand, shaking it, "You as well Mr. Varese," I said, my hoarse voice finally speaking a string of words.

I felt like the statement was barely audible, but Alessandro seemed to hear me, and said, "Please, call me Ale."

I nodded, hesitation still swirling around me. I felt the worrisome feelings dragging me back to Armani. Hoping she was okay.

But at the same time, I was left processing the fact that I was meeting her parents. Very powerful parents at that.

Well, given that her father use to run this before her.

"I'll be back. There's some business to handle in room seven," Roman said, not bothering to wait for a response as he quickly exited the large room.

Stella suddenly walked toward me, making my nerves rise at the sudden movement. I felt entirely on edge, even if the pair seemed nice with genuine intentions.

The woman held her arms out, hesitantly enveloping me in the most motherly hug I had ever experienced. "Everything will work out," she said, almost as if she could sense my heightened emotions.

Is that where Armani got her alleged mind-reading powers from?

I stood there with my arms stuck by my sides, unsure of if I should hug the woman back. I was a little taken aback by their friendliness, especially with Stella hugging me from the jump even though she just met me.

I seriously have to stop stereotyping mafia members. Who says they can't be nice and respectful toward their own people?

Stella pulled away from the hug, her warm dark eyes staring down at me. It seems height definitely runs in their family.

"We're waiting to hear back from Dominico now," she said, her smooth voice so calm that it practically made the muscles in my neck relax.

Heidi stood from the table, "How... how did you get down here?" she asked. It wasn't aggressive or targeted—just simple curiosity.

I stayed silent for a moment, unsure of how to handle this. I could answer the question, but something tells me it would only lead to further questions.

Further questions that will probably involve me and Armani's dynamic, which now was definitely not the time to discuss.

Alessandro silently clasped his hands together, which easily earned the group's attention, "The how and why's are not necessarily important right now," he said, his powerful voice calm and lowered. "Everyone that should be here is here, and that's all that matters."

Heidi furrowed her brows, nodding slowly as she remained quiet.

"Yes, Ms. Cadieux here seems more shaken up than the rest of us," Stella said, her tone light and warm.

I shook my head, "You can call me Mira."

Stella nodded, sending me a warm smile. 

"Stel you know other people aren't adapted to situations like this," Alessandro said, chuckling slightly as he began rolling the end of his black button-down sleeves.