Chapter six

"Oikawa-chan..." The president called.

Just like her brother, she was born with a passion that she had worked to get better at. She loved anything that involved media.

Although she was a first year, she had a lot of influence in the scholarly newspaper; with only her arrival, it tripled its sales.

"Hmm?" She hummed as her eyes continued working on the computer.

"The spring volleyball tournament is about to start, and you know that the match against Shiratorizawa is the most anticipated." He explained.

She nodded, acting as if the sole effect of the name of Ushijima's school didn't have made her stomach twirl. "Yes."

"I was thinking if-"

"I could interview my brother's team." She completed, although it wasn't exactly what he meant.

"Yes..." He answered. "But, together with the vice-president, we were thinking that we should directly to Shiratorizawa and interview them. We talked to their couch, and he said we were fine."

She stopped typing and looked directly at her president wide-eyed. "S-So we are going to Shiratorizawa?"

"Yes, you, the vice president, and me. Please don't forget to bring your camera tomorrow." He winked before he continued working on his own things.

She stayed still like a statue for a long minute, before running to the bathroom to probably have a mental breakdown.

***

She didn't know if she was excited, nervous, or just purely scared.

She had convinced her presidents that while they interview the actual members of the volleyball club, she would be talking to other students. They thoughtlessly agreed, as their thinking was mostly focused on getting the most information out of their rivals.

As she had already talked to three students or four, now she was walking all over the school with her camera hanging around her neck; taking pictures of different kinds of flowers, or of hummingbirds washing in a fountain.

The sun began to set, leaving the sky to transform into an orange palette mixed with trails of pink. The club activities must have also finished, as she saw few students leaving the classrooms. She continued exploring the place, making sure she avoided the gym. But her eyes traveled all around as if she was still looking for someone.

"Oikawa-chann!" She turned around, excited, after having heard her name being called.

It surprised her, when instead of relief, disappointment was the one who filled her heart when she saw it wasn't him.

Both of her presidents got closer. "We were looking for you!" The vice president smiled. "How did it go?"

"Good." She nodded. "The students were nice, and I even got to take some pictures of the school."

"We are all finished I guess!" The president held the same proud smile. "It went great, right?"

"Uh-huh! Now let's go. It going to get dark soon." The vice president responded while turning around to the exit. "C'mon I'll give both a ride home."

Her smile faded.

This couldn't be it, was it?

All that effort, all that avoidance. It couldn't work. I wouldn't work.

"Guys," She started. "Actually my mom works nearby, she is going to pick me up, don't worry about me." She lied, a little too smoothly.

She couldn't stop thinking about Ushijima, even though she tried to avoid him at all costs. She had convinced herself that it was the right thing to do, but deep down, she longed to see him again. Her heart ached with the thought of not being able to see him, but she didn't know how to face him after everything that had happened.