Chapter 19 Anna's Past

"Spill it then." Selene said, wondering what could make her so tense.

"I think I can help with the guild issue." Anna said looking up.

"You know someone who can teach them?" Selene asked.

"No. It's..related to my past.... Before working as a maid for you and before I ended up on the streets I worked as a trained assassin and spy." Anna disclosed.

"An assassin? But weren't you just eleven when you came here?" Selene asked, to say she was shocked was an understatement, she couldn't believe such a sweet and jolly girl is a former assassin. Even though her face showed none of her surprise the tone of her voice was enough to reveal it.

"Yes. I was taken in by a syndicate when I was seven and was trained there till the age of ten. After which I started taking tasks to complete but I left when I was eleven. Still I have one year of work experience, I had also gained some combat skills through my tasks. So I think-"

"You leaving from there was the reason why you were on the streets, right?" Selene asked quietly, interrupting her.

"Huh? Oh yes, I was a bonded one and the tenure was lifetime since I was just an orphan before but I escaped when I got assigned to kill a 5 year old child. I should have been killed according to the syndicate's policy but I managed to get away although sustaining injuries. I couldn't go anywhere to treat them since they were looking for me and I had no energy to steal food either to recover by myself. That's when milady and the duchess found and saved me."

"How much do you know about that d*mned syndicate?" Selene asked, boiling in fury inside after hearing about her past.

"Since I belonged to their outer circle, I don't know much about it but I know that one of their bases is near Rainer kingdom. But don't worry I have long removed the trail I had left behind so they can't find me." Anna replied.

"I see. Alright then I will assess you during the next visit to the guild." Selene said. Seeing Anna's earnest gaze she could understand why 'Selene' in the novel had made her in-charge of all her behind-the-scene work.

"I understand but I- wait you agreed? Milady doesn't despise me?" Anna asked realising that Selene's decision.

"Why would I do that? Besides why did you tell me about yourself if you thought I would despise your origins? Afterall you can't help a person who despises you."

"I-I want to somehow be of use for milady, that's why I revealed it. And even if milady doesn't like me I will always be loyal to you!" Anna declared.

"Hah, this is not about your loyalty, Anna. Since you decided to confide in me, you should have faith in me too. You are my most trusted person and I know my judgement isn't wrong. And it's not like you chose to be an assassin for the syndicate either. You were also brave enough to leave it even though it meant risking your life. Why would I despise someone like you?" Selene really did admire her, she was able to something which Selene could barely do in her past life that too, when she was just eleven.

"Milady!" Anna looked at her tearing up. "You really are the best master anyone can have, I am never gonna leave you!"

It was the first time anyone had described as something other than lowly or inferior. 'As expected milady is the best!' Anna thought.

"Alright, keep your promise then." Selene, who was suddenly hugged by Anna after her declaration, said.

.

.

.

A stone was kicked off the tiled path of the duchy's garden by Selene, who was walking on it. After assuring Anna that she was just going out to clear her mind and it had no relation with her revelation, she went to the garden to process all the things that happened today.