- glossary

Welcome to Untamable!

This story follows an A/B/O universe, where hybrids are the dominant species, and shifting is relevant. But some ideas have been altered or added for more worldbuilding. Because of this, I've added this glossary that explains certain terms you might be unfamiliar with, especially if you are new to A/B/O! Some of these terms I've made up myself, some others I've pulled from various omegaverse works that I enjoyed. This is basically a masterlist of A/B/O headcanons that are used in the story.

You are by no means required to read all of this, it's mostly just fun information to establish the world/biology of humans in the story, if you enjoy worldbuilding like I do. I would, however, recommend sifting through the terms just to make sure you are familiar with them, as some may come up often!

Also note; this story contains mature scenes and themes! Chapters including explicit sexual content will be marked with a * symbol, and scenes that may include sensitive topics will have a trigger warning at the beginning of the chapter.

Enjoy the story!

- A/B/O:
Alpha, Beta, Omega, also known as 'Omegaverse'; a fictional alternate universe that follows the (albeit outdated) dominance hierarchy of wolf packs in everyday society. Characters are often displayed in a more primal sense, deeply connected with their animalistic instincts. The stories typically include themes of mpreg or smut in general.

- Secondary Gender/Dynamic:
Everyone has an assigned primary sex at birth, female, male or intersex, and they also have a secondary or sub-gender, commonly referred to as their 'dynamic'. This decides whether they are an alpha, beta, or omega and is found by a blood test at birth. Each person has deep-set, biological instincts that relates to their dynamic. These instincts don't typically show themselves until adolescence, when they shift for the first time, and the hormones of their secondary gender are released. This is known as 'presenting' as one's dynamic, when their instincts begin to settle in.

- Secondary Species/Hybrid:
All humans in this world have animal traits, they are often referred to as 'hybrids'. These traits present themselves in the form of ears and tails, and sometimes other additions like horns, scales, and wings. They are able to transform into the animal that their traits present. Think werewolves, but with extra features! The secondary species is second to their existence as a human species. It determines what animal traits the human bares, and oftentimes may determine parts of their personalities. Dogs are rowdy, cats standoffish, rabbits meek, etc, etc. (Regular animals also exist alongside the animal trait-bearing humans) The subspecies is often referred to as a characters possession, as it inhabits a part of their personality as a separate existence; i.e "his inner wolf growled" "his panther side was showing". Like two beings existing in the same body.

- Shifting:
When a human transforms into the animal they resemble, it is known as shifting. This was an evolutionary development that came about thousands of years ago to help primitive humans escape predators. Nowadays it just acts as a means of comfort; shifting relieves stress and helps them connect with their inner omega/alpha/beta, it's an important step in the growth and adjustment of a young dynamic. The ability to shift typically presents itself during adolescence, before or during puberty, and marks their 'presentation' as an alpha, omega, or beta. It may be difficult to get the hang of at first, but becomes easier the more it is performed.

- Alpha:
The alpha is the highest rank in the dominance hierarchy, known regularly as the providers. Alphas exude dominant behavior, are territorial, and have highly protective instincts. In this world, alphas tend to dominate not just the biological hierarchy, but the political hierarchy as well. Alphas, whether assigned male or assigned female at birth, are able to impregnate both omegas and female betas. Alphas have 'knots' which, when aroused, is used to lock into an omega and increase the chance of pregnancy. Female alphas work similarly, and have a vagina with a retractable penis. Male alphas cannot get pregnant, and female alphas have a very low fertility (but can still become pregnant). Alphas go through 'ruts' when they are most fertile.