08: checkup

"My name's Vale. I'm Sylvie's sibling, Its nice to meet you." The lanky husky holds out their hand, somewhat hunching now that they're back on their feet, much like Rune had before to display that he was no threat. Except this ones so tall the action just makes them look awkward and strained, even when their tail is low and wagging, like they're trying to tamp down excitement. Silas shakes their hand tensely, feeling overwhelmed with the presence of so many people.

"Stop that, doofus, you're making him nervous." Sylvie butts in, elbowing her sibling to the side, and offers her hand more poignantly. Silas takes it, a little less rigid, "I'm Sylvie, you remember me." Right, the one that had Rune's mark on her wrist. He's still confused about that, about to muster up a question, but the beta cuts him off. "Are you doing alright? We could smell your scent from out the door."

"Ah, uh—"

"He didn't mess with you at all, right? You're all good? Hey, it's okay if not, but why don't I give you some of my blankets for your nest? Would that help with getting used to everyone's scent?"

"Sylvie." Rune interjects, and she realizes shes gone all bowed up too, trying to appease the poor anxious thing, who's shrunk backwards. "Quit perching. He's okay."

"Ah. Right. Sorry." She says, recollecting herself, releasing Silas's hand, and her sibling rolls their eyes at her. "Right. I'm making him nervous." Vale crosses their arms, amused. Sylvie swats a hand at them.

Silas finds their banter entertaining, a slight tug at his lips, even if he is still wound up. "Okay, okay. You've said hi. Now out, out, out." Rune waves the twins out of the room, and the duo immediately whine like petulant kids. "Aww, why! Can't we get to know him a bit more?"

"Another time. Silas," Rune draws his attention again, and his ears perk, "I know things are probably feeling a little overwhelming, but what do you think about seeing the doctor I mentioned?" Silas considers this. He'd hated the doctors he knew previously, but, he feels determined to push his limits a bit. Things were different now, that much was certain. It was overwhelming. But at the same time, it was exciting. He'd missed out on so much of his life, he couldn't help but want to see it all, even the more daunting, intimidating things, even if it didn't feel quite real yet.

"Okay." He nods, determined, after a moment. "But, remember my rule. If you switch up on me, It's done." He'd go back to pure distrust, to doubt, to seeking comfort in his aggression— all on the flick of a switch, if he so needed. Rune was hellbent on assuring that never happened. "I understand."

The twins give each other a similar look, mutual understanding that they had one chance, and they couldn't fuck it up. They excuse themselves.

That's how Silas found himself situated in the passenger's seat of a sleek black car, fidgeting restlessly with his seatbelt.

Just this morning he was wondering what kind of torturous fate he'd receive under his new 'owner', and now his entire worldview was turned on its side. He wonders, briefly, if he's stuck in a dream; pinches his thigh to test the thought, but finds the sting that blooms under his skin confirmation enough that it was reality.

He should be overjoyed, despite it not having settled in just yet. Silas knew his nose never lied, and he couldn't smell a thread of doubt or deception on the alpha, knew he was telling the truth and nothing but the truth. But, still, all that sits under his skin is anxiety. He would now be thrust into a world he knew nothing about, people he'd have to learn to trust, and it was scary.

Silas couldn't help his racing thoughts, a thousand unsaid questions that were bottled and tamped down, ready to explode. Unconsciously, he takes a deep breath. He'd have six months to ask anything he wanted, after all.