𓍊𓋼 Common Misconceptions 𓋼𓍊

This chapter will be focused on common misconceptions/misinformation about therianthropy. Most of these are talked about on TikTok as if they are fact, and create a stigma around therianthropy. Many of these misconceptions are why people think therians are "cringe", "weird", etc. Newly awakened therians also see this misinformation and believe it to be true, and are either confused about it, or they spread it around more without knowing it's wrong. That's not their fault, of course, but older therians would appreciate if people could stop spreading information they just heard or they heard on TikTok without actually doing research. :)

Now lets get into the misconceptions. 

1.) Therians believe they are physically an animal. 
This isn't true, all therians know they're physically human; they identify as a non-human animal on any or all levels EXCEPT physical. 

2.) To be a therian, you have to do quadrobics and have gear. 
This is far from the truth. Many therians don't feel comfortable wearing gear, or don't find any need to wear gear or do quads. Quadrobics and gear are just things some therians wear/do to express their theriotype/s and/or to help with species dysphoria. 

3.) If you do quadrobics, you are a therian. 
This ties in with #2, and it equally as false. Many non-therians do quadrobics, it's a hobby/sport, not something only therians can do. It's actually a really good way to exercise, although it takes a lot of strength and you can easily injure yourself. Like I said above, quads are just something some therians do to help with species dysphoria. 

4.) You can choose to be a therian. 
You can't choose to be a therian, period. You're either a therian (or otherkin), or you're not. Therianthropy is characterised by INVOLUNTARY animalistic behaviours. If you're choosing to exhibit animalistic behaviours, then it's not involuntary. There are, however, copinglinkers, who knowingly/willingly identify as someone/something as a COPING MECHANISM to deal with trauma/stress/other issues. This is different, and is sometimes frowned upon by therians/otherkin. I personally don't have an issue with copinglinkers. :)

5.) You can choose your theriotype.
Like you can't choose to be a therian, you can't choose your theriotype. Just because wolves are your favourite animal, doesn't mean that's your theriotype. It takes a long time to figure out your theriotype, usually through recording shifts, dreams, instincts, etc. 

6.) Therianthropy is related to gender, neo-pronouns, or sexuality. 
Therianthropy is in no way related to gender, neo-pronouns, or sexuality. Therians aren't sexually attracted to their theriotypes, nor are they z00ph!les. Many, many therians are disapproving of z00ph!les, and rightfully so. It is not a k!nk, f3t!sh, or BD$M. It is not Pet P!ay or related to ag3 r3gr3ss!on. 

7.) Therianthropy is like having a spirit animal.
Therianthropy is an identity, not like having a spirit animal beside you at all times. 

8.) Therianthropy is a trend. 
Lots of therians on TikTok post videos of their quads, which has led to the belief that a.) Therians have to do quads, and b.) Therianthropy is a trend. While there may be young kids who are inspired by the videos and want to be therians too, they simply aren't, and will likely grow out of it. There's nothing wrong with letting kids experiment with things and play around. Those who do turn out to be therians, however, likely won't grow out of it. 

9.) Therianthropy is role-playing, or a mental illness.
It is neither of those, in fact it's far from it and is not in any way related to either of them. 

10.) Therians can physically shapeshift.
This is not possible. Humans can't shapeshift or transform into other species. Therians understand that they are physically human. 

11.) Therianthropy can give special abilities, powers, or extra physical strength. 
Again, this is not possible. 

12.) Therianthropy is a coping mechanism. 
Therianthropy is completely different from copinglinks. See #4. 

I hope this cleared some things up! Remember, if you hear some information, always do research before telling it to other people, it gets very tiring having to explain over and over what the actual meaning for something is because so many people have heard the complete wrong thing. 

Next chapter will be about types of shifts. 

⋆˖⁺‧₊☽◯☾₊‧⁺˖⋆