𓍊𓋼 How to find your theriotype 𓋼𓍊

There are a few ways to figure out your theriotype, but here are some things to note first. Please don't try to rush the process! It takes time, you can't do it overnight. Often your first or second species are wrong, or a bit off. I thought I had a silver fox theriotype but it turned out I didn't. I also thought I might have a lynx or snow leopard theriotype, but I actually have a Siberian Cat theriotype instead. I'm still figuring out my theriotypes, even 2 years after realising I'm a therian! If you are questioning or something about your theriotype species feels off, these tips might also help you! It is perfectly fine to be wrong! Remember, everyone makes mistakes and it's not the end of the world if you get something wrong. This is an important process to find your theriotype. 

Before you start searching, be open to ANY possibilities. If you cannot accept whatever your theriotype might be, there is no point in trying to find it. This includes being open to even unknown animals you might have never heard of. Sloths, insects, koalas, turtles, kangaroos, reptiles, felines, canines (to name a few random)- anything and everything is on the table.

Next, look at your habits and how you feel. If you're a huge animal lover in general it might be hard to distinguish which animal you see a picture of and say "that is so me." Because many of them you feel you can relate to and see yourself in. But this is an identity. This shouldn't just be a type of animal that you like or have a deep love or companionship for. It's not just an animal that you can see yourself in. 

Ask Yourself

Do you feel a tail?

Is the tail long? Is it short?

How does your tail respond to emotions? Does it wag when your happy? Does it twitch when you're irritated?

Is the fur on it fluffy? Is it sleek? Does your tail sway as though to keep your balance?

Do you feel paws, hooves, or antlers?

Are your paws heavy and large? Are they sleek and fast? How many toes do they have?

Are your hooves one, two, three, four toed? How wide do they feel?

Are your antlers shorter and thin, or long and thick?

How do you mark your territory? Do you feel the need to spray a scent? Do you want to scratch your back against a tree?

Do you feel like you have to roar when enraged? Or howl to your family when lost in the grocery store?

Do you feel the need for having a den? Do you like high places?

Are you very sociable or prefer to spend time alone?

These are just some examples, but there are hundreds that can help you get a good idea. 

Narrow It Down

Once you have studied yourself and your shifts, and what they exactly feel like, you have a general place to begin. From this point nature documentaries and research is VERY important. This is very time consuming and it may take a very long time to find this stage.

Usually at this point you should have an idea of what family or general area it belongs to. Example: feline, canine, reptile, avian, etc.

From there a place to start could be location. And it doesn't have to be exact location like India or Canada. It can be places that are dense and humid with a more jungle like habitat. Or places that are very windy and sandy like a beach or the dunes. A place that is cold and dry surrounded by cedar or pine trees, maybe with snow on the ground. Is it a rocky terrain which is snowy and provides little or no cover to hide?

If you cannot connect with a certain environment you can start looking into domestic animals as well. How comfortable are you in doors? Do you like small places?