Chapter 2

Chapter Two

The day started quickly as The young woman loaded up her car after checking out in front of the hotel. Camila started up the car and continued her journey toward New Orleans. Camila had a ten-and-a-half-hour drive left to go to reach her destination and she wasn't going to waste any time. There would be no way she would make it there that day but she was going to make it as far as she could. The drive was way too long for her to even try, so Camila texted Levi. She let him know she would be there tomorrow afternoon. After texting Levi, she decided to give her boyfriend a call. It would be interesting if Jai was going to let her know if he was in New Orleans with her family, or if he would make up a story. She pressed his name on her phone and listened to the car's Bluetooth speaker ring as she exited the hotel parking lot. On the third ring, Jai picked up. The hesitancy in his voice made her smile a bit.

"Morning." He spoke as he answered the phone.

"Morning, I haven't heard from you in a while."

"I've been busy, sorry. How was your audition?" He asked.

"It went well. I think I will be able to get a seat in the orchestra."

"Wow, that is awesome. I am glad you are achieving your dreams, babe."

"What about you? What are you up to? Any more DJ jobs?" She smirked knowing he was really with her family.

"Well. About that.I wanted to surprise you, but I am sure your brother already told you."

"Yes, he did." She chuckled.

"Also, I have something to talk to you about." The tone in his voice dropped to a serious, almost upset tone.

"Is it good news or bad?" She asked as her smile faded.

"It is hard to explain and I want to discuss it face to face."

"You know I don't like this....not knowing."

"I know but it is something serious about us and our future."

"You're not proposing are you?" Jai let out a laugh.

"Oh no. It is just about us. You're probably moving to New York and You know I have been looking for a leg up in my DJ business ...."

"So....does that mean you are breaking up with me?" She spoke bluntly.

"Camila, can we talk about this face to face.." he sighed deeply.

"I would like to know if you are dumping me while we are celebrating my mother's birthday, Jai." Camila spoke with a sharp attitude. She couldn't believe the nerve of him doing this. Anger as well as other emotions flooded over Camila as she drove. She was so upset she had to turn off the highway and park on the side of the road.

"Can we just talk when you get here?" He spoke now almost as it was a child whining to his mother. Camila didn't answer, she just pressed end on the phone. Her fingers gripped the steering wheel as she pressed her forehead to them. She could feel the lump in her throat growing as warm tears escaped without her permission. As she wiped away her tears,Camila exited the car quickly. She needed to get some fresh air to calm herself down before driving on. This trip was turning into a nightmare. What was supposed to be a joyous occasion was now going to be awkward. Camila paced a moment in front of the car before deciding to get back inside the car. She could not afford to waste time being upset, Camila needed to get as much time driving in if she was ever going to make it her mother's birthday.

The drive from Tennessee to the border of Louisiana was rough, her Crying turned to anger as Camila gripped the steering wheel the whole drive. Speeding down the highway, Camila made up fake scenarios and scenes in her mind. She even fought with herself out loud speaking both sides of the argument. It was silly and ridiculous on the outside, but inside Camila was a raging tempest of emotions. She was so distracted the young woman almost ran the red light in front of her. Quickly slamming the brakes, Camila avoided running the red light that would have caused an accident. She was dead tired, not just from the driving but from the anger, she projected throughout the whole drive. As she sat there waiting for the light to turn she glanced at the sign along the road. New Orleans was only an hour away. The quicker she got there the quicker she could confront Jai and settle her anger. Camila's eyes glanced up at the sky or moment. The hues of pink and purple clouds swirled in the blue sky causing it to be a beautiful pastel color due to the setting sun. Camila noticed the clouds parting quickly as a large object sped toward the direction she was driving. Camila watched the object fly out of sight. Soon A bright light and a huge plume of smoke billowed up from the direction of New Orleans. Her phone cut off and on again with an emergency broadcast.