Chapter 9

Chapter nine

The real struggle for Jonah was Unlearning everything he had learned in his life. Of course leaving the family business and being shunned practically for it hurt him greatly, but the internal struggle of his faith versus his worldly outlook is what he struggled with the most. After Jonah wrapped up a few cases he was working on, he quit the firm and found a pastor out west that would take him under his wing. Jonah needed to get out of the city and away from family and old friends if he was going to succeed on this new journey with God. He walked away from his life to be a pastor, and his father could not understand it. He gave his son everything. Love, money, opportunities, and Jonah was going to walk away from it all. Everything he spent his life pursuing. The young man was even walking away from his family and his father just couldn't handle it. He shunned Jonah and in a heat of rage warned him to never show his face again. This wounded not only Jonah but the rest of the family deeply, but Jonah was not going to give up on his new calling no matter how crazy it must have seemed. He had seen the light and never again would he go back to the darkness

The church in east Texas was Jonah's destination. The homeless man named Devin, who witnessed Jonah, was the one who guided him there. Devin explained to Jonah that he once lived in the city, but left due to needing to go to New York to help his dying mother. Devin spent all his money and resources trying to help his mother before she died. This is what resulted in him being on the streets and penniless. Devin had high hopes and a rock solid faith even though his situation was rough. He spread the gospel and God had watched over his life. The homeless man knew there was a reason for everything and why he was there on the streets. Finally, when Jonah came along, that reason was made clear to him. Devin shared the gospel as well as gave Jonah several Bible studies. Once Jonah made up his mind and accepted his calling to be a pastor, Devin was delighted to hear this. Devin called his old pastor and the man told him about the opportunity for them to come and help him in the church. Jonah agreed and he and Devin made their long journey towards Texas together.

"What do you want for lunch?" Jonah asked as he glanced up ahead at the blue sign on the side of the highway. The two had been driving since before the sun came up, so it was time for a pit stop.

"Well..I only have like four bucks on me." Devin glanced over at Jonah. Jonah rolled his eyes playfully towards his friend.

"Devin, what do you want to eat?"

"Oh, you buying?" Devin grins as he watches Jonah get flustered behind the wheel.

"What do you think? I'm gonna eat in front of you?"

"It wouldn't be the first time someone did that." Devin laughed. Devin was the type to poke fun at any situation to make light of it. He often liked to annoy the hot headed lawyer.

"Lord grant me patience." Jonah huffed.

"Don't ask for that...or you might end up like me...jobless and homeless." Devin continues to chuckle

"I already am.." Jonah spoke back in a playful manner.

"Don't worry Jonah...God will provide." A few moments passed before the exit ramp appeared. Jonah took the exit off the highway and began to drive into the small town.

"Taco Bell, Mcdonald, Burger king....what do you like?" He asked.

"Wendys. The dollar chicken sandwich.." Devin pointed out.

"I don't think I ever ate at wendys before..."

"Are you serious? That refined pallet is about to taste the best sandwich beside chick fil a fast food restaurant can provide." Devin exclaimed.

"Oh, and you have to get the chocolate frosty and dip your fries in it..." he added. Jonah gave him a disgusted look.

"Trust me!" Devin spoke as he pointed to the restaurant.

"I haven't seen you this excited since I agreed to go to Texas with you." Jonah shrugged. He was down to try this new combination of fried and ice cream even if he thought it sounded disgusting. He trusted Devin so far, Jonah just hoped the taste in food Devin had would not cause him to barf. The ex lawyer pulled into the parking lot and parked in the front of the building. The two got out, stretched a little, then headed into the building.

"We should make Texas in a few days, so we will have to stop at a few hotels." Jonah explains.

"Or you can save money and sleep in the car." Devin lifts a finger to make a point.

"No. I am not driving all day and night and sleeping in a car. Look. You need to get the homeless mindset out of yourself Devin. You are no longer in that lifestyle."

"I will remember you said that when you start to have trouble breaking your fancy ways to live like the rest of us common folk." He elbowed his friend as he entered the restaurant.

"I guess we both are coming from two different extremes and meeting in the middle." Jonah followed Devin into the wendys and waited in line.

"Behold...wendys.." Devin motioned to the large menu. Jonah just gave Devin a blank stare as he stood there.

" Hello miss. I will have the chicken sandwich meal...the spicy chicken sandwich meal...both large fries and a large chocolate frosty...and oh whatever my buddy here wants." Devin made way for Jonah to order his food. Jonah glanced for a couple of minutes more at the menu before ordering. He paid for both of them and the two went to take their seats in the dining area. Devin was a talker, so there wasn't really a moment of silence between the two. Jonah didn't mind speaking, he did it for a living, but Devin was on a whole nother level. Devin was only a few years younger than him, but his stories were so fascinating. It was like he lived double the lifetime Jonah had. While Jonah was at his family home or penthouse, Devin was meeting people from all over the country and city. Devin lived a very colorful life on the streets of New York and just when Jonah thought Devin had told his whole story, the middle-aged man would come up with a new one. The two spent a couple of hours eating and exchanging tales before heading back to the car. It was a memory Jonah would cherish dearly.