Chapter 4

Chapter Four

A few weeks later

Camila and Darren made their way through much of the back roads of Louisiana on foot. The journey was a rough one, to say the least. Avoiding the panicked public was a chore but it was a necessary demand spoken by her companion. The fact Camila wanted to know exactly what took place that fateful day and the urge to ask others what news they had heard was strong but ill-advised. Darren knew firsthand what people could do when pushed to the limits of basic survival mode. He often told her the horror stories from his days locked up in jail as well as the days spent in the service. The tales he spoke of mixed with the first-hand accounts Camila herself witnessed while on their journey morphed this once carefree woman into a cautious one. She could honestly say her whole world was burned up in that bomb and what formed from the ashes was a whole new being. Camila knew for certain that if it wasn't for Darren helping her, she would be a victim like the many they had passed up along the barren roads. Those dead bodies were laid out for the world to see how the world spiraled down into a horror show in just a matter of seconds. Some died from exposure to the radiation, others from self-inflicted wounds, and others were killed for items they carried. A simple bottle of water was more precious than gold, and food was better than diamonds. This once rich country based on consumer products of luxury was instantly plunged into the dark ages. The two survivors did not know if this was the apocalyptic state of the whole country or just the state of Louisiana. Darren only assumed it was the whole USA due to no one coming to the aid of the citizens of the state. They would have at least been some national guardsmen or other military help seen on their journey, but there was none. His guess was that the whole country was struck and left in ashes. Camila at first had higher hopes. She believed someone would come to help them, but as the days passed, her hopes were smudged out slowly.

The sun was setting and the two knew they needed to seek shelter. It was dangerous in the daytime and that danger doubled at night. Darren glanced over at Camila who was making strange motions with her hands. Her fingers wiggle back and forth in front of her mimicking what he could only guess was an invisible instrument.

"What is that?" He asked.

"Saxophone. I used to play one. I was coming from an audition to play professionally when all this happened." She explained as she let her hands drop to her side.

"I am guessing you left it back with the car?" Darren asked. Camilla nodded slowly.

"Yeah, You said only the essentials. I wish I would have brought it, but I knew it would only draw unwanted attention." She sighed deeply. Darren wanted to say something to comfort her, but the words escaped him. He didn't know what to say to make this young woman feel better about this whole situation. He himself was trying not to have his own breakdown. Camila was a strong person. Not just anyone could have faced what she did and not had a breakdown. She kept her sanity and inner turmoil under control. The young musician had to, it was a matter of life and death if not.

"I say we try to find something to eat. I think I spotted a sign back there showing a gas station up ahead." Darren finally spoke.

"Oh what I would do for a milky way." She touched her rumbling stomach.

"I could go for a big hamburger." Darren added.

"I doubt we will find that." Camila raised a brow as the side of her lip curled into a grin.

"A man can dream. I want a double meat cheeseburger. All the fixings! With fries and a huge sprite. And a side of pecan pie."

"Now you are asking too much." Camila teased.

The two continued to talk about the different foods that they missed and wished to once more partake in. Foods like steak and ice cream were thrown around but the two quickly grew silent when they spotted a woman on the ground a couple of yards in front of them. Darren quickly lifted his gun as his eyes began searching around for anything suspicious. Camila joined Darren for a moment, but then her attention was drawn to the woman groaning.

"We should help her."

"No. Leave her."

"Why, she is hurt."

"So, that is her fault. Plus it could be a trap." Darren kept his eyes on the tree line.

"But what if she genuinely needs help?" Camila ignored all the past few weeks and training Darren taught her. Her human nature and compassion overruled her thinking as she went to reach down to touch the woman. As soon as her hand touched the woman's shoulder, the woman lept up with a knife and knocked over Camila. Camila's scream alerted Darren and he sprung into action. He sprinted towards the two who were on the ground now. The knife was inches away from Camila's throat while the wild woman was pinning her down. Darren tackled the woman to the ground. The two rolled down the side of the road fighting with each other. Camila panicked when she couldn't see the two any longer. The young woman hopped to her feet and quickly ran down the tall grass that led away from the road.

"Darren!" She called out as she followed the trail of smashed grass and blood. She finally caught a glimpse of Darren and the woman both laying face down on the ground and her heart dropped.

"Darren?!" She ran to his side and slowly rolled him over. To her horror, the knife the woman had at her throat was now lodged deep into Darren. This was all her fault, she thought. Camila glanced over to the motionless woman's body and grimaced. there was no movement and Camila finally figured out why. The woman's head was turned the wrong way around. It must have happened when they tumbled down the slope that ran alongside the highway. If only she would have listened to what he told her to do and leave the woman alone, Darren would not be lying here with a knife sticking out of his side. Camila went to yank the knife out, but Darren stopped her.

"No, I will just bleed out faster." He huffed.

"Help me up. We need to get to that gas station for cover." He commanded. Camile wrapped one of his arms around her shoulders and did her best to help him up without further hurting him. It was in vain. The scream he let out no doubt carried for miles. This was not good. If anyone heard, no doubt they would be coming to investigate. Camila and Darren hobbled as fast as they could toward the direction of the gas station. The drops of blood soon turned into a steady trail by the time they made it to the front door of the place. the older male could feel himself going numb and he fought the urge to pass out.

Once inside, Camila sat Darren down and did her best to look for a first aid kit. She had no clue how it was going to help though. She wasn't a nurse, and she didn't know anything about first aid other than pulling a splinter out of bandaging up a small cut. This wound needed serious medical intervention, but still, she searched on. All that she ended up finding was a small pack of towels in the break room of the gas station. The place had been ransacked already, and there was barely any food left on the shelves, less medical supplies. Camila however was determined to help Darren and to try to fix her mistakes. She ran back with the towels and slid to the ground on her knees. She quickly pressed the towels on his wounds and glanced up towards his face. Camila could see the pain etched on his dark features. Even though he tried to hide it from her, Camila knew he was dying.

"I am so sorry Darren." She fought hard to hold back tears and to stay strong.

"It is alright. You were just trying to be humane...but Camila...this world is not the same. You can't trust just anyone. You have to listen to your reason and your gut. If something is too good to be true, it is." He winced in pain and looked down at the knife in his side. He could no longer feel his arm on that side and he knew he was bleeding internally.

"I wish I had more time to help you....to teach you, but I don't."

"What are you saying?"

"Camila. I know you are smart. You and I both know I am dying."

"Stop." She glanced down at the floor, ashamed of herself and horrified that she caused this. Not only was this her fault, but now she was going to have to survive this world alone. Being alone scared her more than the thought of any other danger she would face out there. She sat quietly using one of her hands to press a towel to his side. The other held his hand. Camila watched helplessly as Darren slowly slipped into unconsciousness.