Moonlight on the river

"Fucks sake," Lucian groans, staring down at his foot that is now ankle deep in a muddy puddle

"Fucks sake," Lucian groans, staring down at his foot that is now ankle deep in a muddy puddle. "Stop laughing it's not funny," He rolls his eyes, taking his foot out of the puddle and following me down the dusty path.

It's been a week since the party and things are surprisingly going well. I woke up the next day, still in my sage dress with no relocation of the night's events. Miles softly explained to me what happened, expecting me to panic and freak out but I didn't. I didn't remember it so to me it's almost as if it never happened. I'm happier pretending it didn't.

Once the principle found out we had left she was enraged and despite Lucian's best efforts she decided to punish both of us. She volunteered us to do a lot of different jobs within the community so we've spent the whole week working at different places for no pay.

Every time Lucian complains about this being unfair I agree with him but in reality I don't mind at all, I actually love volunteering. Sure it's tiring going to school all day then having to work and do homework but I think it's a rewarding experience.

It's now Sunday, meaning this our last job which is helping this local farmer run his farm for the day. Lucian wasn't pleased with this job, moaning that he'll get his shoes dirty but I welcome the distraction.

Things haven't been going great for me, mental health wise. Two days ago our year had our monthly health check up, in which they measure and weigh you.

When I was in that stuffy nurses office, staring down at that number on the scale I felt nothing but shame. I was at least four kg more than I had expected which has sent me down a spiral ever since.

I can't binge and purge anymore because Carter has become hyperaware of my habit, I can feel his eyes burning into me anytime I eat something and he never leaves my side for the following half an hour after.

It's quite annoying but I'll never say anything to him, I'm just thankful that he's kept his promise and hasn't told anyone.

"Great, just great," Lucian groans, staring at the extremely muddy path we have to turn on to. "Get on," He rolls his eyes, bending down to give me a piggy back which causes me to squeal in excitement.

"Giddy up," I say, slapping his side to make him go.

Me and Lucian have surprisingly become good friends, ever since that night he hasn't been mean to me once.

He finally drops me down in front of a creepy looking farm house, one straight out of a horror movie. I stand behind Lucian, using him as a human shield as he knocks on the rotting wooden door.

The door cracks open only a smidge, the chain restricting it. "Can I help you?" A voice mumbles from inside. "Yeah we're here for the volunteer workers program," Lucian says confidently, seemingly unfazed by the strange circumstances.

"Right, well go round the back and clean out the stables," The voice mumbles, rudely slamming the door in our faces.

'Dickhead," Lucian says as we make our way around the house.