Chapter 9 - my first elixir

Although my healing powers were able to alleviate the hangover, they did not help with my blackout. I focused intensely as I tried to recall the events of the previous night. I remember telling the Duke about my family and their plan, but what happened next? I really should quit drinking to avoid these memory lapses.

Confused, I gaze at the young man standing before me. I estimate he is around 20 years old. His dark blue hair falls messily over his face, and the distinctive wolf ears that slightly protrude from his hair give him a mysterious charm. His well-built physique and upright posture reveal that he must be a highly skilled knight. He stands at attention, observing me with his cool eyes that exude a certain determination. His face remains expressionless, as if he is a secret waiting to be unveiled.

 His face remains expressionless, as if he is a secret waiting to be unveiled

"Excuse me... but who are you?" I ask somewhat embarrassed, attempting to take the first step in unraveling this mysterious encounter.

The young man's face remains unchanged as he responds curtly, "My name is Raven. Duke Drakonov assigned me as your personal guard yesterday."

"Personal guard?" I whisper, surprised as I process his words. My gaze once again sweeps over his muscular body and battle-hardened appearance. It's impressive how confident and strong he appears despite his young age. It seems as though he could effortlessly overcome any fight.

I got up and got ready. It felt somewhat unfamiliar to have someone watching me all the time. Suddenly, there was a knock on the door, and when I opened it, Isabella stood there. Her friendly smile greeted me. "I see you're already awake. Lunch will be served shortly. Will you have it in the dining hall or should I have it brought to you?" she asked politely.

"I will have it in the dining hall," I replied, trying to conceal my nervousness. I was aware that Raven had been standing there watching me for some time. Just the thought sent a cold shiver down my spine. I decided to face it head-on and made my way to the dining hall, escorted by Raven.

As I reached the dining hall, I saw Ryota and the Duke already seated at the table. Some of the servants I recognized from yesterday, but there were also new faces among them. I wondered if the culprit from yesterday had been caught. Ryota looked at me with concern, and I could tell he had been worried when I didn't show up for breakfast. I smiled at him and greeted him with a "Good day, Ryota." Then I turned to the Duke and greeted him politely as well. To my surprise, he no longer looked as threatening and serious as he did yesterday. In his eyes, I could now see a spark of kindness that gave me a sense of relief.

Another meal was served, rich in meat and accompanied by bread. As I reached for the bread, I noticed a moldy spot on it. This did not go unnoticed, and a maid fell to her knees in front of me. "Forgive me, Your Highness! I don't know how I could have missed it," she said with a trembling voice, as if pleading for her life. Before the Duke could respond, I helped the maid up. "It's alright," I said, smiling at her as I used my magic to freshen up the food. Then I took a bite of the bread. "Mmmh... tastes like it just came out of the oven," I said, savoring the flavor.