Chapter 18 - my first undead

After I had nestled onto the other side of the bed, I closed my eyes for a moment and reflected on the events of the day. 

Suddenly, the door to my room was quietly opened, and Isabella entered. "Forgive the disturbance, Haru," she said softly. "But I thought you should know that the Duke and Lady Melva have requested your presence in the study." I was surprised by the sudden invitation and wondered what they might want to discuss. 

Nevertheless, I got up and followed Isabella to the Duke's study. As I entered the room, I saw Tatsuya and Lady Melva sitting at the large oak table, surrounded by stacks of papers and books. Their serious faces indicated that something important was going on. When Tatsuya noticed me, he nodded in my direction. "Please, have a seat." 

I took a seat across from them and waited eagerly to hear what they had to say. Tatsuya turned to me with a penetrating gaze, his eyes gleaming in the darkness of the room. "Haru, I would like Lady Melva to take some of your potions to sell. She will keep the origin and the maker a secret. Are you okay with that?" I was surprised by his proposal. Tatsuya was known for his independence from money, so there must be another reason why he wanted to bring my potions to market. 

"I agree, but I would like to know why you want to sell them?" I asked curiously. A mischievous grin crossed Lady Melva's face. "One of the largest auctions in the country is coming up, and I plan to auction off some of your potions there to give the Church a little poke."

The notion that my healing potions were causing a stir filled me with a sense of satisfaction. Yet, despite this, I felt a slight exhaustion creeping in. "If that's all, I'll retire to my chambers now." As I exited the room, a mix of excitement and concern coursed through me. The idea that my potions were to be auctioned off at a grand event to trouble the Church was both intriguing and unsettling. I could only hope that entrusting Lady Melva with my potions wouldn't lead to unforeseen consequences. 

After reaching my room, my gaze fell upon Midnight, still peacefully resting on the bed. A gentle smile crept onto my lips as I watched his chest rise and fall with each breath. Yet, my thoughts quickly returned to the events in the study. I sat down at my desk and began to reflect on recent events. The prospect of my potions soon venturing out into the world filled me with a sense of pride and responsibility. But the uncertainty of what this might entail for the future gnawed at my mind. 

At that moment, a knock sounded at my door and Isabella entered. Her concerned expression caught my attention. "Haru, I'm sorry to disturb you, but there's something you should know." I raised my eyebrows inquisitively and Isabella stepped closer to share the news. "There have been reports of strange occurrences in the forest near the estate. Villagers speak of eerie sounds and mysterious lights. It seems as though something dark and dangerous is lurking out there."

An icy shiver ran down my spine as I heard Isabella's words. The feeling of unease that had been with me all day suddenly intensified. I felt a new threat looming over the estate and its inhabitants. Isabella left the room, and I stepped out onto the balcony, which jutted out into the dark expanse. My gaze swept over the vast lands stretching under the night sky. Yet, my thoughts were quickly penetrated by the recent encounter with monsters and the gloomy atmosphere of the forest. 

The darkness was only illuminated by the weak lights of nature spirits, playfully dancing through the air. Their soft glow shone like torches in the darkness. I reached out my hand to feel their presence. "Can you show me what is happening in the forest?" I whispered softly, clinging to their presence.

 Some of the spirits began to fly around me. A few of them settled on my outstretched hand, ready to share their memories. As I engaged with their magical connection, my senses were flooded with images and impressions. 

I saw the snow-covered ground of the forest, the majestic trees, yet nothing seemed out of the ordinary. But as the nature spirits flew deeper into the forest, I felt a change in the atmosphere. The once idyllic landscape became gloomy and menacing and my inner restlessness grew. 

The spirits led me to a cave, its entrance strewn with bones

The spirits led me to a cave, its entrance strewn with bones. The air was filled with a suffocating tightness, permeated by dark magic. As the spirits delved deeper into the cave, a gruesome scene was revealed before me.

The cave was like an ancient, blood-stained ruin, and at its center stood a figure in a black robe. It muttered unintelligible words as a magical symbol floated before it. When the figure lifted its gaze, I recognized with horror that it was not a human face. 

Glowing eyes stared at me, surrounded by dried, dead skin. Where once a nose should have been, there was only a dark hole. Its skeletal appearance seemed to be permeated with dark magic.

The memory ended abruptly and I found myself back on the balcony, my hand still stretched out

The memory ended abruptly and I found myself back on the balcony, my hand still stretched out. Yet the image of the undead mage was seared into my memory and I knew I could not rest until I had discovered the truth about this sinister figure. 

With trembling hands, I returned to my room and reached for my sketchbook. Hastily, I began to transfer what I had just seen onto paper, hoping that the drawings would help me unravel the mystery. 

After sketching the grim outlines of the undead mage, I searched through my book collection for clues about similar beings. Hours passed as I flipped through the dusty pages, looking for answers.Frustration and restlessness took hold as the night slowly progressed and the first rays of morning lightened the sky. With a sigh, I closed my books and set them aside. It was clear that I would not get any further with my limited knowledge alone.