16

The next day, Susan recruited Layla, Ingrid, and me to help her with the wedding plans. I was getting ready for the day when Johnny entered my room holding up a suit with a series of logos of the companies that sponsored us. 

"Hey, Ari, the new uniforms just showed up. What do ya think?" he showed it to me.

I shook my head at it, "Like you could be racing the Daytona 500. Plus, I don't wanna be caught dead wearing that crappy suit."

"What's wrong with a little capitalism?"

"I'd rather stick with the originals."

I grabbed my purse and pushed past Johnny to meet up with the girls. 

My friends moved into a couple of the apartments in the Baxter Building sometime after Victor's defeat. Howie was hired by Reed as a lab assistant, which got my friend more stoked than ever. Cameron was also hired to help in the lab when it involved mechanics. Ingrid became a certified paramedic for her role in saving Jimmy's life. Layla started working as one of the security guards in the building.

The entire day was filled with Susan trying to decide on the flowers and decorations. Layla, Ingrid, and I were trying to help her feel less stressed and remind her that she had a bright future with Reed. Whenever Susan asked any of us for our opinion on a couple of choices, I could only tell her to go with what she liked the best. The other girls agreed with that.

Later that evening, while Johnny, Ben, Howie, and Cameron took Reed to his bachelor party, all of the girls and I hung out inside. A while back, Susan had her bachelorette party. That one was crazy fun! Knowing the bachelor party was at a nightclub, I knew Johnny had something in store for Reed.

 While in the middle of talking, Layla answered her phone and then turned to the rest of us.

"That was Jimmy," she informed us, "He said a few military folks just entered the elevator and are on their way up."

"We better see what they want," Susan nodded and rose from her seat.

"Yeah, Roberta won't be able to hold them for long," I agreed as we all followed her out.

Roberta was the AI system. For some reason, she would've notified us head-on that we had company, instead of having Jimmy call us whenever anyone showed up. Though with Layla's job, he would have to inform her.

"Hello? Thanks, Roberta," Susan said seeing the military folks and mentioning the AI.

I could tell they meant business. With Reed's inventions, most of them were what the military would love to get their hands on for combat. Then, I recognized one of the men in front as General Hager.

"May I help you?" Susan asked.

"We're here to see Dr. Richards," Hager answered as he approached us.

"I'm sorry. He isn't here right now. Is there anything we can help you with?"

"Yes. You can take me to see Dr. Richards."

"Okay."

Seeing that there was no point in arguing, we all headed for the nightclub. I didn't say much knowing full well I'd bring up some sarcastic remark. It seemed Hager remembered who I was.

Right on arrival, I could tell Susan wasn't thrilled at the sight of seeing Reed dancing with a couple of women while stretching his arms. Yet again, Johnny and his wild planning!

"There he is," Hager pointed him out.

"Yes," Susan nodded with a stern expression, "Unfortunately. For him."