chapter 11

the night cynthia had met calvin, him and her cousins had stayed at her grandmothers house until around four in the morning. cassandra had fallen asleep in the guest bed, where cynthia slept, but cynthia wasn't tired.

her mind had went back to the night she decided to sneak out and walk the streets of new york with darrian. she wondered what her life would be like right now, if she hadn't ever done it. of course, she knew she couldn't change the past and even if she could, she didn't know if she would.

she slowly stood from the guest bed she had slept on the past few nights, walking out of the guest room and into the living room to see if her grandmother was still in there.

she saw kylo had fell asleep on the couch, his hoodie was over his head and his hands was in between his legs that were brought up closer to his stomach. next to him was calvin, who sat with his head rested on his hand while he scrolled on his phone.

cynthia let out a groan when her grandmother wasn't in the room, meaning she had already went to bed and had taken cynthia's phone with her.

cynthia's groan caused calvin to raise his head, he hadn't noticed cynthia had even came in the room. "you good?" he asked and she simply nodded. "i was seeing if my grandma was in here."

he bummed, "nah she went in her room like an hour ago."

cynthia sighed, slowly turning around. "cass asleep?" calvin asked, making cynthia pause. "yeah." she answered, turning back around.

she looked back at kylo, before going to the hallway to grab him a blanket and walked back to him, throwing it over the boy. "where are you gonna sleep?" cynthia asked kylo.

the teenager shrugged, "i guess, here." he gestured to the spot he was sitting in.

cynthia nodded, pointing back to the hallway closet she had just opened. "if you get cold, there's blankets and pillows in there."

he nodded, watching as she slowly stepped back like she was about to walk away, and he spoke again. "you goin to sleep?"

"um.. i might, i don't have my phone so there's nothing else for me to do." cynthia told him.

"you in trouble or somethin?" calvin chuckled. neither kylo or cassandra had told him about her little incident with darrian, so he was completely clueless.

"sort of." she rolled her eyes.

"uh, there's this little park down the road, you wanna go?" he asked, trying not to sound weird.

cynthia knew the park well, she went to it all the time as a little kid. but she had just met calvin, she knew he was her cousin best friend, but could she trust him?

calvin chuckled at her unsure face, "you don't have to." he shrugged, "just suggesting it." he sat back on the couch as he thought she was going to decline his offer.

"sure." she nodded, making calvin raise his eyebrows in surprise. he stood, as cynthia walked back to her room to grab her black crocs, while calvin slipped on his shoes and waited for her at the door.

as cynthia walked through the hallway, she started to feel a type of anxiety. she was sneaking out, again. only time time, it wasn't with or for darrian.

in some way, it felt wrong. almost like she was betraying darrian in a way.

she met calvin at the door, and walked out behind him. the two walked in silence for awhile, before calvin decided to speak first and make some conversation.

that night, cynthia and calvin had spent two hours at the park. they had watched the sun rise, before finally realizing they needed to head back to cynthia's grandmothers house.