chapter 20

Cynthias eyes slowly opened, before they closed again due to the very bright hospital light. she let her eyes get used to the light, before she slowly looked around the room.

cynthia's memories had cut off the moment she had reached the hospital, she just remembered being carried by dee, before everything started to go blurry.

she gripped onto the sheets of the hospital bed she was laying on, letting out a wince as all the pain hit her at once. she looked down to her stomach, seeing she was now wearing a hospital gown.

she heard voices outside of her door, and slowly tried to sit up. she cleared her throat, "hello?"

immediately, she saw her mother rush into her room. "oh my god, cynthia."

serenity wrapped her arms around her, feeling like a huge weight had been lifted off of her chest. cynthia saw her father standing by her bed, and as they made eye contact, he sent her a small smile.

"where's cassandra?" cynthia asked, as her mother pulled away.

"she's with.. the others." cynthia knew who her mom was talking about, just because of her tone towards them.

"are they gonna come in here?" cynthia asked.

"cassandra can." serenity answered, making cynthia furrow her eyebrows.

"mom—" serenity cut cynthia off, knowing she was going to try and talk her way into it. "no, cynthia. i told you, you didn't need to be hanging around those kinds of people because you could get hurt... and look." serenity pointed down at her body.

"that wasn't their fault, mom." cynthia told her, making serenity shake her head.

"you're not seeing them." serenity finalized, shrugging.

cynthia looked to her dad with hope that he would say something, but his head turned as cynthia looked at him. she scoffed, shaking her head as she laid back.

she heard footsteps, before she looked again and saw her father was no longer in the room.

"i see grandmas little talk, did nothing." cynthia lowly spoke.

serenity furrowed her eyebrows, "you got shot, cynthia! you proved my point.. they put you in danger."

"it isn't their fault i got shot. it's not like they shot me." cynthia rolled her eyes.

serenity opened her mouth to say something, but was cut off as cassandra and cynthia's father walked in the room.

cassandra immediately took cynthia into a hug, placing a small kiss on her forehead. she asked cynthia if she was okay, before grabbing onto her hand and sitting next to her.

cynthia felt cassandra's hand shaking, making her feel terrible as she knew cassandra had been scared. she was sure cassandra was going to have some trauma from the whole situation.

cynthia felt bad for her cousin, she had brought her along with her and the first night there she had to witness cynthia getting shot.

cynthia watched as cassandra and her father exchanged a look, cass slowly nodding. cynthia's eyebrows furrowed, looking at the two in confusion.

she listened to her dad tell her mom that he needed to talk to her, before they slowly left the room with serenity sending one last look to cynthia.

cassandra rolled her eyes at her aunt, before slowly standing up. "i'll be back."

as cassandra also left the room, they all left her confused. she laid back, sighing to herself before jumping when she heard loud voices.

"cynthia!" she heard david's voice, making her turn.