15th December 1914

Amy's parents passed away on Sunday in an accident with a spooked horse.

It was awful, standing at the funeral yesterday, watching Amy sit numbly by their coffins. She's an orphan, now.

I know how lost the girl must feel, suddenly having no parents at all. I start crying every time I think about it. And her burden is even worse than mine, in losing you, because she is just a child. She shouldn't have to face death so young.

She has been staying at the mayor's house, because she is friends with the mayor's daughter Lucinda, but I went to visit her this morning and Lucinda has fallen ill. Amy was under the staircase, crying.

I think I'd like to adopt her, Matthew. I know it may be hard for her, especially when I live in the house alone, but she has nowhere else to go. And perhaps she would prefer just one person, as it is much harder to become comfortable when there are two people to get used to instead of just one. Besides, she's already familiar with me, and she loves our peach tree, too. I'm sure she'll like it here.

You know I've always wanted children. I think bringing Amy into our home will bring both of us some much-needed comfort and company.

I'll go and speak with the mayor today. I hope Amy agrees.

I love you. I hope that while I am still here on this earth, Amy will give me the will to keep living until you and I meet once again.

Love always,

Adeline