Chapter Twenty-One

Daniel's Point of View

"Where are you going now? For someone who supposedly lives here, I hardly ever see you at home." Mum leans against the bedroom doorframe and crosses her arms. Her eyes trail over the room and fixate on the overnight bag situated on my perfectly made bed.

"I'm having dinner with my girlfriend and her mother." The way my girlfriend rolls off my tongue is strange but exciting.

"Girlfriend?" She gasps, happiness filling her eyes.

"It's still new and we're taking our time getting to know each other. We don't want to rush into anything, especially after our last relationships."

"Oh yes, it's good that your taking your time getting to know each other. Maybe you could invite her to a family dinner this weekend? I would love to meet the woman who's making you this happy!"

"I'll invite her tonight."

"You must tell me about her! How old is she? What's her job? How did you two meet?" She flies off with so many questions, my head spins.

"Her name is Ellie and I promise you can meet her soon. I have to go now, I'm running late."

"Oh, I'm sorry." She frowns.

"She's very excited to meet you as well. I just hope that everything goes well tonight."

"It's good to take things at your own pace, and if you need more time, you don't have to invite her to dinner this weekend."

"It's okay, I'm sure she'd love to come."

I kiss her forehead before grabbing my bag and rushing out.

My heart is wildly beating when I arrive at Ellie's house. I tuck my shirt in and fix my hair before approaching the door. Before I have the chance to knock, the door swings open and a flustered Ellie appears with rosy cheeks. She sweeps tendrils of hair behind her ear and sighs.

She steps outside and closes the door just enough that it doesn't click shut.

"Thank goodness you're here!"

She steps into my arms and I kiss her forehead.

"What's wrong?" I whisper.

"I'm just nervous about dinner for no reason. You're amazing and my mother will love you. I'm just being a silly goose."

I cup her cheek and peck her lips.

"Don't worry, everything will be fine."

"Leave this out here, though. She doesn't know you've been staying over." Ellie takes the bag from my shoulder and chucks it behind a small plant pot.

"She already knows that I know where your bedroom is, so we've probably passed that stage." I chuckle.

She awkwardly shifts on her feet and her cheeks are still a cute shade of pink. I tug her back to me and kiss her forehead.