Chapter Thirty-Two

Ellie's Point of View

The best way to bring the family together is to throw a family event where they're forced to be in close proximity, on their best behaviour, and reminded about the beautiful thing that family is. Thank goodness for Noah's birthday party today; what a great way to bring everyone together.

Before we can make great memories, I have an entire house to decorate and food to prepare for the army of people I've invited to the party. Luckily, I have a list and helpers to bring this entire event to life.

"Where's all this stuff going?" Mum holds up a giant bag of decorations.

"Don't worry about that, Clara will be over soon to decorate the house. Our focus is putting all the food together. I have the usual snacks, dips, cheeses, fruit, and veggies. I also have cupcakes that need to be iced."

"Would you like me to cut the fruit and veggies up?"

"Sure, use whatever you need in the fridge."

"Do you have platters for it?"

"They're all in the end cupboard, and feel free to do whatever you want."

"I thought there would be a mood board of aesthetics," Mum laughs.

"I only did that for the baby shower and his first birthday because I wanted everything to be perfect for those special moments. Noah doesn't care about how perfectly things are cut or if the cupcakes are iced perfectly. He just cares about the bouncy house going up outside and the presents he'll be getting." I sigh. "So I've chilled out for this party."

"As long as Noah's happy, everything will be fine."

"How about some party music to put us in the mood?"

"Yes, great idea." Mum nods.

I tackle the cupcakes while Mum pulls the fruit and veggies from the fridge. We've invited a lot of people and I don't know how much people will eat, so I always think it's best to have too much than not enough. It also didn't help I was hungry when we went shopping.

"Can you check on Daniel and Noah?"

She comes back with a smile on her face.

"Noah's placing his dinosaur collection throughout the lounge room, but Daniel isn't allowed to help. He has to follow strict instructions from Noah."

"You can tell he's my child." I laugh.

Once the cupcakes are iced and topped with dinosaurs, I move on to help with the platters.

"So how's everything going? You forgot to update me about the dinner with Daniel's parents."

"It went amazing. We dropped Noah at Clara's house so it would be the four of us. We were able to talk and Emma apologised for her behaviour."