Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine, pyridoxamine, pyridoxal)

Vitamin B6 also known by the names of pyridoxine, pyridoxamine, and pyridoxal, plays a critical role in brain functioning, mental health, and body regulation as it is involved in over 100 enzyme reactions. It is responsible for making the hormones serotonin, norepinephrine, and melatonin as well as manufacturing hemoglobin, a component of red blood cells. The richest sources of Vitamin B6 are found in beef liver, yellowfin tuna, roasted chicken, potatoes, avocadoes, carrots, soybeans, whole grains, and fortified cereal. As is the case with Vitamin B5, a deficiency of Vitamin B6 is also rare but it can occur in those with a diet lacking fruits, vegetables, and the aforementioned meat products. Characteristic symptoms of such a deficiency include muscle weakness, irritability, nervousness, depression, difficulty concentrating, and short-term memory loss. Taking large doses of Vitamin B6 beyond the daily recommended amount on an irregular basis has not shown to have adverse effects; chronic use of supplementation however can lead to complications with the peripheral nervous system as seen with ataxia which is a loss of control of bodily movements. The symptoms and severity of ataxia is dose dependent which means higher chronic doses leads to amplified loss of control of body movements; this however is only temporary and can be fixed by reducing Vitamin B6 intake.